Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever started a quilting club to sew for donations? Do tell! >

Have you ever started a quilting club to sew for donations? Do tell!

Have you ever started a quilting club to sew for donations? Do tell!

Old 05-30-2011, 04:59 AM

Something I've been mulling over for a while. How could I go about doing this? What would I need for space? Should it be set up like a guild with dues or would it be better to keep it friendly?

I feel that I would like to start sewing / quilting for kids and those in nursing homes, simple things like lap quilts and pillows. I thought of calling the town hall or church for ideas, and a neighbor belongs to a guild but that's the one I didn't feel comfortable with, but maybe I could ask her what she thinks.

I'm sure some feel more comfortable sewing from home and that's probably fine, but sometimes the comraderie of a group or a few sewing together is nice. That and I really do need to hang out with adults more. (Kids are home, daughter 24 with wonderful 6 month old and almost 19 son who is driving me crazy).

Any ideas or thoughts on this?
Old 05-30-2011, 05:08 AM

Sometimes a church hall is available. I've done this and when you "advertise" you can invite non-quilters to help in all kinds of ways like tieing the quilts, pressing etc. It works out very well. Please keep us posted.
Good luck, Kutnso
Old 05-30-2011, 05:24 AM

It's a great idea. When you get set up send me a PM and I will send a box of fabric to help get you started. :thumbup:
Old 05-30-2011, 06:28 AM
Power Poster

My LAQ goes to a group like that every Tuesday. It's at her Church and they do charity projects together. Also, it's a learn and sew where one will show/teach a technique/pattern and they'll each do their own projects. So each week, it's not just charity sewing, but some for themselves too ... .and of course, lots of fellowship!
Old 05-30-2011, 07:05 AM

I belong to a charity quilting group who make quilts to be given away to women's shelters and babies in a local hospital as well as sick church members. We are affiliated and receive a small stipend from the church (it's usually enough to buy a bolt of batting each year)...it is not my church but everyone is welcome to come and quilt....and we use space in the church hall for our meetings. Our leader was the driving force, as she is a quilting teacher. She conceived the idea and brought it to her church as a social ministry. She offers to teach anyone how to quilt at our meetings on the first and third Sundays of the month from 2:00-5:00 (and most members come to us without any sewing experience). The requirement is that anything made during those 3 hours is donated to the social ministry. It also helps that our leader has a long arm and quilts most of the ones completed by our members. Some of us quilt our own, but she does most of them. We started out using our own stashes, but the church will put out a plea for useable cotton fabric to be donated 3 or 4 times a year. What had developed from her idea is the most active social ministry within her church. It has been a wonderful experience for me as I now have 20 or 25 new friends, we have expanded to monthly "quilt til you drop" Friday night events where you bring your own stuff to sew or quilt and stay from 6:00 til midnight. We use this as a "fund raiser" as one of the members will make dinner for us all and attendees donate $5 or $10 to the kitty for their dinner. We even have a "quilt away" weekend...just for the members to socialize. Now we have further expanded to knitting and crocheting as some members like to come and socialize but don't sew. They make crocheted afghans or baby layettes.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

How inspiring!
Originally Posted by AnnieF
I belong to a charity quilting group who make quilts to be given away to women's shelters and babies in a local hospital as well as sick church members. We are affiliated and receive a small stipend from the church (it's usually enough to buy a bolt of batting each year)...it is not my church but everyone is welcome to come and quilt....and we use space in the church hall for our meetings. Our leader was the driving force, as she is a quilting teacher. She conceived the idea and brought it to her church as a social ministry. She offers to teach anyone how to quilt at our meetings on the first and third Sundays of the month from 2:00-5:00 (and most members come to us without any sewing experience). The requirement is that anything made during those 3 hours is donated to the social ministry. It also helps that our leader has a long arm and quilts most of the ones completed by our members. Some of us quilt our own, but she does most of them. We started out using our own stashes, but the church will put out a plea for useable cotton fabric to be donated 3 or 4 times a year. What had developed from her idea is the most active social ministry within her church. It has been a wonderful experience for me as I now have 20 or 25 new friends, we have expanded to monthly "quilt til you drop" Friday night events where you bring your own stuff to sew or quilt and stay from 6:00 til midnight. We use this as a "fund raiser" as one of the members will make dinner for us all and attendees donate $5 or $10 to the kitty for their dinner. We even have a "quilt away" weekend...just for the members to socialize. Now we have further expanded to knitting and crocheting as some members like to come and socialize but don't sew. They make crocheted afghans or baby layettes.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:16 AM

I have belonged to groups/clubs at LQS and another at Hancocks and a Guild in a church. A Guild will charge dues and have officers, etc.; a club is without dues and the members generally help each other with quilting techiniques, etc. I would contact a quilt shop or other sewing store in your immediate area first. Lot of times, they like the walk-in business and what quilter does not buy a small item when around fabrics? lol Anyway, starting a club can be as simple as putting an ad in your local newspaper or maybe flyers in the window of the fabric shop. It is amazing the number of ladies and some guys who will join. As for fabric....well, once the word is out about your charitable group, quilters seem to donate fabrics they do not want and estate sales are super. Check out the goodwill and salvation army shops on a regular basis. It will not take long before all that one needs to provide is the batting.

Also, I am a Project Linus blanketeer. Why don't you start a Chapter in your area. No dues and so much good is provided to children in hospitals and in our immediate case, blankets for the Joplin, Missouri victims.

Here is a link to the national office of Project Linus so you can see what is involved. Thank you and good luck!
http://www.projectlinus.org/
Old 05-30-2011, 10:11 AM

Hi-I am the Project Linus Coordinator for the NH Seacoast area. I live in Nottingham, which is just a few miles from you. The only other chapter in NH is in the Monadnock Region. I could explain what is involved in starting a chapter, or perhaps share some of my experiences. Maureen Please send me a PM if interested
Old 05-30-2011, 10:23 AM

I sew charity quilts with a group of friends. We rotate homes each month. If we end up sewing several times together in the month we sew at my home because I have a very large table & island in my kitchen. Each lady brings her own machine. I do have a few extra sewing machines for those whose machine doesn't transport easily.
At the once-a-month meetings, hostess provides a simple meal - soup & bread, or a large salad, for example.
At the "in-between" gatherings, we each bring our own sack lunch.

I used to sew with a group who meet every Monday at a local grange hall for free. We brought our own snacks. Often Churches will make a room available - often free if you attend that church.
Good luck with your endeavor.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:17 PM

Thanks everyone for sharing your stories! How wonderful they all are.

I don't think I could jump into a PL right now. At home with me are my 6 mo gs and DD and DS, I also work full time and have all the house stuff, which I'm beginning to not care so much about, lol. Sometimes I sew more in my mind than at my machine. Mostly it's because of my gs but he's such a joy and I am thrilled to have this time with him.

I want to think this through and start slowly as I would hate to back out of something I started due to lack of time.

I will post when things start to pull together so I will probably be asking tons of questions.

Thanks for the encouragement, too. And, I LOVE that Erma Bombeck quote!