Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is anyone having problems with QB? >

Is anyone having problems with QB?

Is anyone having problems with QB?

Old 02-06-2011, 05:52 AM
Administrator

can somebody post some screeen shots for us so i can see what this monster looks like?

this is outside my area of expertise, but unless i see it i can't even begin to guess.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
can somebody post some screeen shots for us so i can see what this monster looks like?

this is outside my area of expertise, but unless i see it i can't even begin to guess.
The screen shot would be the web page of the advertiser, at least for me (...my...web...face w/o the dots) and I'm not going there, nor would I recommend anyone else do so.

One of the other forums having this same issue with the same advertiser is the Snopes forum. It may be the same type of roll-over redirect worm that has spread throughout twitter and facebook. You don't have to click the ad to become infected, just roll your mouse over it. Scarey!
Old 02-06-2011, 12:13 PM

When the window pops up click your print screen button and then paste it to a new document in word. It should show the page you're on and the popup page. You don't have to click on the popup.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:03 PM

It is not a pop up...it's a redirect to another page. The entire QB page redirects to the "other" page. (i.e., this page turns into that page...entirely) If you hit the back button, you go back to QB and then right back to the advertiser again. The only way out is to close the browser altogether and then open it again.

I know how to do a screen shot, there's just no point in this case. It would simply be the web page of the advertiser. I don't know how else to explain that.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:16 PM

No, but seems like several posts (threads) have been removed. So, what's that all about?
Old 02-06-2011, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by dixiechunk
No, but seems like several posts (threads) have been removed. So, what's that all about?
the two things are not related.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:28 PM
Power Poster

A lot of times I have advertisements coming up over where the reply is so I cann't reply to anything on the board and this is very frustrating. I don't know how to correct it except to get out of the board and click on again sometimes for a number of times before it clears up.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:23 PM

If it's a redirect then it must be malware or something. It isn't happening to everyone so it has to be on the computers that it happens to (horrible grammar-sorry).
Old 02-06-2011, 08:26 PM

Are there certain threads it happens on or just on the main forum page? I just went to the board with IE, which does not have adblock, and so far I'm not getting any redirects or pop ups.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:19 AM
Administrator

somebody sent me these clues by pm:

Hi Patrice, just at the beginning of the post about ?(slamming) it happened to me. I immediatly tried to get rid of it, by using the red X and it just came back. I checked my popup site down at the bottom of screen and found that it was off! I always have it ON. It happened again in our site so I checked and again it was off. Clicked OFF again & so far so good. Don't know if that is what happened to others but since I fixed it the second time it hasn't happened on the rest of that same post.

this indicates that whatever it is has made it past your firewalls and anti-virus/adware/malware program(s) and might be turning off your pop-up blockers.

When I am reading a post, the screen will automatically navigate to a page such as the following. I have gotten different pages, but they are all from http://mywebface.mywebsearch.com.

The most recent instance was when I was on this post:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-95753-1.htm

However, when I now open this post in a different browser window, I'm not being redirected.

http://mywebface.mywebsearch.com/dow...203327_3380074

the question is whether both conditions described are coming from the same website (mywebface).

no matter which anti-virus/adware/malware program(s) you use, do a manual software update to ensure you have all of the latest versions and updates installed. if your program(s) don't automatically update themselves replace them with program(s) that do. even then, check them often to see if they've been updated. in addition to that ...

In Windows Internet Explorer:
--Check your pop-up blocker settings. Choose the highest security setting.
--Check your In-Private Browsing settings.
--Make sure the SmartScreen Filter is turned on.
--Check your Security settings in your Internet Options. set your Restricted Sites to the highest security level.

i use FireFox, too, but not often enough to have become at all familiar with the security setting options. maybe somebody else can help us with that.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-141513.jpe