Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Anyone recognize this pattern?

yes, snowball nine patch, if you want to see it in batiks check out quilterscache.com, the effect is stunning.

Blog Entries
    I too would like the block sizes. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    Peggi, you silly girl!! Quit that!

Jan in VA
    I agree.....New at quilting and stared at the pic and could not figure it out. The diagrams really help. Will bookmark..

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    Here are your two blocks in this quilt.

Jan in VA
    Jan you did it again. You made a complicated looking quilt look simple with 2 easy blocks!

I too saw this quilt on a shophop web site and agree it would be lovely in 30's prints. Even thought about doing that too. Think I will check out the batik one on quilter's cache too. Love it when two simple blocks can make such a stunning quilt don't you?
    wonderfully and beautifully made, even if you can't see it on the outside

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week! and very cold this very minute!
    thanks Jan, I was sitting here staring at the pic and was drawing a blank. not new for me. just saying. heehee
    You never stand taller than when you stoop to help a child.

You can make the blocks any size you wish. The nine patches I am making are made with 2" strips sewn together into strips sets of 3 fabrics each. The blocks finish at 5" square before they are joined to each other. The snowball blocks I am making also end up 5" square before they are joined to each other (of course---they have to be the same size as the nine patches). Those are made with a 5" square of colored fabric and four 2.5" squares, one for each corner (sew just outside a drawn diagonal line, corner to corner, and then trim out the middle layer or both bottom layers on the outside corners, whatever is your preference.) Now when you make the four squares for the Snowball corners that large, you don't have to match points when the squares are sewn to the nine patches, which makes the quilt very easy to construct. This slightly changes the appearance of the finished pattern. Hth. It's a very pretty pattern.

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Okay, Ladies, here are the notes for your cut sizes to make a 6" finished block for this quilt.
    (To make a 9" finished block, use 3.5" cuts for small squares and 9.5" cuts for the large snowball squares.)

Note that along the edges of the quilt in the picture (page 1 of this topic), she has used partial blocks to create her look. You can do that with these same measurements, or just start and end your rows of blocks with a 9-patch, which is probably how I'd lazily do it.
    The border is a "piano key" effect using the strips from which she made her 9-patches.

(Super)Jan in VA

[You can enlarge the print of this post by pressing the "ctrl" key and rolling your mouse wheel over the print. Do the same to return it to normal size. I'm sorry I made it so small for our (mostly) older eyes!)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Jan in VA; 11-27-2012 at 10:29 AM.
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.

So simple and yet it looks so complex. Want to leave each of the grandchildren a "wedding" quilt and this may just be the one. Thanks for sharing.
    Nana Jan
    Friendships are gifts from God that should be cherished and nourished

Blog Entries
    Yeah, Jan. I love you too. You always have good stuff to share!!! ;-)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast