Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Anyone recognize this pattern?

Quilt pattern variation

Yep, nine patch/snowball quilt variation. I used one snowball block as the center of an Irish Chain quilt...and the center background was muslin with a photo printed on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Christine- View Post
    Hi! I found this on my quilt guild website and just love this pattern. Can anyone tell me what it is? I'd love to make this one. I've been collecting 30's fabrics and this fits the bill!

Attachment 378568
    Marge Campbell
    TL18LS/Qbot automated quilter
    http://www.Lmcampbel.com

Very interesting quilt. From a distance it tooks like many pieces of wrapped candy. I had to print out a portion of the quilt to actually see the snowball and the nine patch. Looks fast, easy and fun!

Check this one out made from men's plaid shirts. This is the one I want to make from my plaid collection.

http://thethriftyquilter.blogspot.co...e-thrifty.html
    GeeGee

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    Why, silly me! You Eagle Eye, indeed they are....HEADS UP everybody,the 9-patch blocks should have the colors in the center and corners, NOT as I previously drew them.

That THUD you heard was me falling off that pedestal - told you not to put me up there!

Jan in VA
    Actually Jan, you DID color it correctly. If you substitute cream muslim color for the BROWN in your photo, you'll see you're right. The orange color would be the 30s fabrics... see? You're right after all! Now climb right back up there!

Name:  Image15.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  11.5 KB Name:  Image14.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  12.9 KB

Very pretty. Thanks, Jan. I would never have guessed that this was made from 2 simple blocks.

Color values are key to the success of this pattern. This is the time to use your very lightest (white, ivory, etc.) with your darkest prints and/or solids. But maybe that's just me....

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine- View Post
    Actually Jan, you DID color it correctly. If you substitute cream muslim color for the BROWN in your photo, you'll see you're right. The orange color would be the 30s fabrics... see? You're right after all! Now climb right back up there!

Name:  Image15.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  11.5 KB Name:  Image14.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  12.9 KB
    Uhhhhh, my knees hurt, don't think I can make the climb. Thanks anyway!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.

QM
    The snowball block and the other are, of course, the same size. 9" (finished size) works fairly well. Any multiple of 3 is fine for the basic blocks. When I drew this up, I intentionally used a reversed color layout. I like to emphasize that color makes a huge difference in how we see patterns. Sorry that I did not say that. Snowball blocks, traditionally are white or very light in the center. When this is called stepping stones, the center is often the darker fabric. I have also seen this pattern with a basic color for the 'snowball' and everything else looking scrappy.
    Last edited by QM; 12-03-2012 at 02:38 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4