Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone sell purses? What do you charge?

Anyone sell purses? What do you charge?

Just curious. Each year our Guild has a booth at a handmade craft show. Members sell their items at this event and this year I thought I would make a few batik purses to sell. It takes about 6 hours to make one. There is probably $30 in materials at "retail" but I have a nice stash of batiks that did not cost me a dime so my cost is minimal . I buy the fusible fleece by the bolt using the famous "coupon" .

Those of you who have sold purses, what has been your experience with pricing them?

Thank you!
    Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

I sell the LazyGirl Designs "Margo" Bag. I increase the size by 1, 2 and 3 inches. I sell the original and 1 inch for $45.00. The 2 and 3 inch larger ones I sell for $70. I also include a beaded (handmade by me) zipper pull for that price.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sahansen44 View Post
    I sell the LazyGirl Designs "Margo" Bag. I increase the size by 1, 2 and 3 inches. I sell the original and 1 inch for $45.00. The 2 and 3 inch larger ones I sell for $70. I also include a beaded (handmade by me) zipper pull for that price.
    i love the idea of the beaded zipper pull!
    Nancy in western NY

I sell Bow Tucks for $35..They cost me about $10 to make and 2-3 hours to make..I usually can cut the time, by making multiples at a time

Quote Originally Posted by Pat625 View Post
    I sell Bow Tucks for $35..They cost me about $10 to make and 2-3 hours to make..I usually can cut the time, by making multiples at a time

Wow! You are fast!
    Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Not nearly enough. I've tried selling at craft shows and people don't want to pay a reasonable price. The standard is 3X the cost of materials. I've had better luck just selling to friends. Most of them supply everything and then I charge a small amount for my time. I love to make them so that is the fun part. The ones I have sold have usually ranged in the $30 area for a decent size bag with zipper.
    I Quilt Therefore I Am

Pat

I will have a booth in The World's Largest Christmas Bazaar this year and was also wondering what to charge, so I am also following this thread
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

Blog Entries
    Pattypurple is absolutely right...many people just don't want to pay a fair price for handmade goods. I usually figure my prices at 3 times the actual costs of materials (fabric, notions, etc.), but sometimes you have to lower your prices for your market. I always try to get at least double my costs, less than that and you're giving away your time and talent. I try to buy materials on sale to maximize my profits.

$30 seems pretty low for 2-3 hours of work, plus fabric, since fabric is so high now. I agree that people just don't want to pay a proper price for handmade items. However, they will pay big bucks for a factory-made NOT one-of-a-kind purse in the store. Go figure..............

I meant $35 for 2-3 hours work plus fabric (sorry)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast