Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone use satin binding on quilts? >

Anyone use satin binding on quilts?

Anyone use satin binding on quilts?

Old 09-16-2014, 04:47 AM
Power Poster

I just don't think it is as durable as cotton double fold binding. Over the years, it seems that the binding begins to show wear first.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:04 PM
Power Poster

I don't think it would be good enough for a quilt . Years ago the thermal type baby blankets I bought with it on them would come off or wear out long before the blanket did. I just bind mine as I do all my other quilts.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:48 PM

I tried to use it on my niece's baby quilt, but ended up removing it as I could not get the corners to miter. It was probably due to the fact that I sewed it to the quilt with a 1/4" seam allowance which was too narrow to achieve a good miter relative to the width of the blanket binding. Live and learn.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:54 PM

I put it on the first baby quilt I ever made, it was harder to get the corners right but I did it with a zig zag stitch. It held up very well after many washes even before than the cotton fabric in the quilt. My grandson liked the silky edge to tickle his face.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:35 PM
Gay

I used satin in the red quilt in my photo section, and bound it with satin. It was slippery so had to pin it well. The rounded corners were difficult as I didn't cut on the bias, but I am happy with the finished product. It lays on my spare bed, and hasn't been washed yet, but I don't foresee any problems - fingers crossed. I used a 3" strip, folded in half, and made sure I used more than the 1/4" seam allowance, to stop fraying.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:11 AM

I have not used it on a baby quilt, but I think the baby would love it. Babies and toddlers love to finger satin. So I say go for it. you are making it for the baby, not an adult's approval. Could you maybe put the regular binding on first and the satin over it so when it becomes worn, it could be removed and the quilt still ok.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:31 PM

Though I've never done it, I read somewhere about adding a satin binding on top of the regular binding for baby quilts. Babies love the satin, and when it wears out, no repair needs to be done, just pull off the satin binding and you're good to go.