Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone in West Virginia? >

Anyone in West Virginia?

Anyone in West Virginia?

Old 01-06-2014, 05:11 PM

Default Anyone in West Virginia?

We are going to be staying at the Greenbrier Resort next week. Does anyone know of quilt or fabric shops nearby? Thanks for the help!
Old 01-10-2014, 03:58 AM

Mu husband bought me some quality fabric from a quilt store in Princeton WVa last month. when he wakes up I will ask him the name of it, if that is close enough to the greenbrier.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:41 AM

Just checked Google Maps. Princeton is too far away. Thanks anyway! I'm still hoping to find some shops close by. Going to the Greenbrier is not my idea of fun. Unless you drink, gamble or do spas, there is nothing to do there. I told DH if all else fails, I'll take my camera and sketch pads and look for quilt designs in the tile work throughout the resort. But I'd much rather escape for the day and buy fabric!
Old 01-10-2014, 06:25 AM

I agree Princeton is too far away. Although I have not been to this one, check out

http://www.sewmanyquiltsshop.com/

CALL FIRST to make sure they are still there
Old 01-10-2014, 09:52 AM

Is this in the area where the water has been polluted?

I know how you feel about some of these places. I went with my husband to a Jazz Festival last year. He took his guitars; I took my sewing machines and several PhDs. He had a great time making music, and I had a great time making quilts. We found one LQS in town and went there twice. And if I wanted a break from sewing, I went out and sat by the pool in the shade and enjoyed the breezes.

Last edited by mckwilter; 01-10-2014 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:04 PM

I could be mistaken, but I think Jan from Va is from that general area. If she doesn't respond, maybe you could send her a message.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:09 PM

Thanks Adnil! I sent an email and will call them in the morning. I'm sooo hoping they are still in business and open!

Mckwilter - I've been threatening to take my sewing machine. But the rooms only have a little desk in them. Don't think it would be big enough to work on. The last time we went there was in the spring and I did what you did - went outside to enjoy the scenery. BUT it's January! Greenbrier is on a mountain top! Not going outside this time.

Good idea, Nilla! I'll see if I can figure out how to contact her.

Thanks ladies!!
Old 01-13-2014, 07:40 AM

I have a Singer 221 Featherweight, so even a small desk is OK. Also, I place the ironing board at a right angle to the desk and set the same height, which gives me more room, plus your ironing station is right there. I set my cutting mat on the dresser for a cutting station, which forces me to move around a little. Turn on the radio, and quilting nirvana. I hope you find some LQSs to visit. I do envy you going to the mountains. Southeast Texas is flat, flat, flat.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:10 AM

There is Sew Many Quilts at 431 W. Main Street, Covington, VA..................don't know which way you'll be driving but it is a nice shop. If I were going to the Greenbrier, it would not be out of the way for me (from Virginia).
Old 01-13-2014, 02:40 PM

Thanks Quiltshaker! That's the same shop Adnil suggested. I did get in touch with them and they are open. Yay! It's only about 1/2 hour from Greenbrier. I'll be going to the shop on Thursday.