Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique ... prewash? >

Applique ... prewash?

Applique ... prewash?

Old 06-11-2015, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by RST View Post
My rules for clothing are different than for quilted projects. When you quilt, you are essentially stabilizing the pieced portion with both the batt and the backing. If you quilt heavily, as I do, you will have some shrinking after washing, but it will be quite even and not distort the finished project.

I almost never do garment sewing anymore, but when I did, I always, always prewash. Size does matter with garments, and I wanted fabrics to declare themselves before I went to the trouble of making an outfit. Also, very big appliques on a garment? That would be a big red flag to proceed with caution and think carefully about technique chosen. I'd probably want to stabilize appliques on a garment, with a fairly stout interfacing or something on the back. But honestly, I've never put appliques on a skirt, so take Beairisgay's advice there.

Great point! I never thought of that. Thanks much!
Old 06-11-2015, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by yngldy View Post
I only hand applique and I don't usually prewash, but lately I find that the skin on my fingers and cuticles start drying and peeling. Between projects they are fine, but when I start another project it comes back. I will prewash the next project and see if it makes a difference. I don't know if it is the chemicals in the fabric, or handling the fabric more than in piecing, but if you have sensitive skin, it would be a good idea to prewash.

Thanks! I'll be machine appliquéing it but when I have done hand appliqué I haven't experience that. I sure do when I knit a lot with pure wool though...then I love using the lotion called Gloves in a Bottle - great stuff