Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique Stitch Question >

Applique Stitch Question

Applique Stitch Question

Old 12-19-2016, 08:01 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by charlottequilts View Post
I've read at least one post on this board about satin stitches perforating the applique to the extent it detaches. Not sure why that's so, but it has caused me to stop doing it that way.

How about straight stitch applique? Turn the edges under (several ways possible) and just top-stitch around the applique edge. Use 40-wght thread if you want the stitches to show up like topstitching. Very durable, in my experience.

hugs,
Charlotte

I was doing AOTH (affairs of the heart), with raw edged applique and my edges
were getting chewed up by my needle.
I had done raw edged before. Culprit: heavy starching.
I did change to turned edge applique bc it was an "heirloom" pattern. Got overwhelmed
with too many things to do and haven't gotten back to it...yet!
Old 12-19-2016, 08:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Grinch View Post
What a great idea! I love the double-blanket stitch looking like a train track. I am going to try that. Y'all are brilliant!

I am happy I decided to join so I could ask!
I love the Grinch. Such an underdog. Welcome!!!
I love the way this thread has gone.
Your going to have a very cute and clever quilt.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:31 AM
Power Poster

I generally use the blanket stitch and have not had any complaints/feedback about it not holding up. A lot depends on how wide you set the stitch and how deep a bite you take into the fabric.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:38 PM

I do both depending on the look I am going for but find that I often have trouble when doing a satin stitch if I use my usual 100% cotton thread. Using poly...no problem. It may be just me or my machine, but thought I would mention it. If your thread shreds when doing satin, try poly.
Old 12-20-2016, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Grinch View Post

I am happy I decided to join so I could ask!
Welcome to the QB...you're gonna love the friendly, talented folks here.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Monika View Post
I do both depending on the look I am going for but find that I often have trouble when doing a satin stitch if I use my usual 100% cotton thread. Using poly...no problem. It may be just me or my machine, but thought I would mention it. If your thread shreds when doing satin, try poly.
Cotton thread isn't strong enough for satin stitching. I like using rayon thread for satin stitching (if your JAF has a Viking center, you can find rayon thread there). Poly thread also works. Do keep in mind that if you are doing satin stitching, you will need a stabilizer, or else the line of stitching will sink into the fabric like a gully & may even cause wrinkles in your quilt.
The one thing about rayon & poly threads is that they will melt with a hot iron (ask me how I know), so if it's too wrinkly, be sure to iron on low... although, usually I find the wrinkles don't come out as it means I didn't use enough stabilizer to support the stitching. Now, on the rare occasion that I do satin stitching, I do it on individual pieces, rather than once my quilt has been put together. That way, if I find I should have added a second layer of stabilizer, I can do so more easily. Bosal makes a great 100% cotton stabilizer. Otherwise, Pellon 360 or 806 have worked for me in the past. Those are tear-away stabilizers.
Old 12-20-2016, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
Cotton thread isn't strong enough for satin stitching
Bree, you are so knowledgeable that I hesitate to disagree, but I use 60 weight cotton(Mettler) to satin stitch, per Harriet Hargrave, and it works out well. Aurifil 50 looks very similar (and is of a similar strength, in my experience.) Both make beautiful satinstitching that lies flat and even. And lasts well with steam-a-seam or similar around the edge, at least for me. I use a fairly narrow satin stitch, if that makes any difference.

Hugs,
Charlotte