View Single Post
Old 12-20-2016, 08:10 AM
Bree123

Originally Posted by Monika View Post
I do both depending on the look I am going for but find that I often have trouble when doing a satin stitch if I use my usual 100% cotton thread. Using poly...no problem. It may be just me or my machine, but thought I would mention it. If your thread shreds when doing satin, try poly.
Cotton thread isn't strong enough for satin stitching. I like using rayon thread for satin stitching (if your JAF has a Viking center, you can find rayon thread there). Poly thread also works. Do keep in mind that if you are doing satin stitching, you will need a stabilizer, or else the line of stitching will sink into the fabric like a gully & may even cause wrinkles in your quilt.
The one thing about rayon & poly threads is that they will melt with a hot iron (ask me how I know), so if it's too wrinkly, be sure to iron on low... although, usually I find the wrinkles don't come out as it means I didn't use enough stabilizer to support the stitching. Now, on the rare occasion that I do satin stitching, I do it on individual pieces, rather than once my quilt has been put together. That way, if I find I should have added a second layer of stabilizer, I can do so more easily. Bosal makes a great 100% cotton stabilizer. Otherwise, Pellon 360 or 806 have worked for me in the past. Those are tear-away stabilizers.