Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Applique

What kind of thread do you use for applique? I have never appliqued before and this will be my first time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandi
    What kind of thread do you use for applique? I have never appliqued before and this will be my first time.
    I have always used regular thread. Will be watching this thread for some input.

I didn't know if you used a special thread or not.

When using regular thread, do you double or single it?

I use just a single thread.

I use a single silk thread. I do needle turn applique and the stitches are almost invisible. If you want the stitches to show, as in a buttonhole edge stitch, you can use one strand of regular cotton thread in a contrasting or coordinating color.

Quote Originally Posted by cherylynne
    I use a single silk thread. I do needle turn applique and the stitches are almost invisible. If you want the stitches to show, as in a buttonhole edge stitch, you can use one strand of regular cotton thread in a contrasting or coordinating color.

Do you use a neutral like gray or beige or do you match the color to the applique piece? I'm starting on needle turn and using guterman cotton (50 weight), but my stitches are not as invisible as I'd like.

Someone suggested to use the 60 weight cotton thread and someone else suggested the Masterpiece threads from Connecting threads.

Blog Entries
    I read (and try to follow these guidelines myself) that IF you have a match in color to the piece, then use that color thread. If you don't then match the color of the background.

In quiltshows, I have seen some pieces appliqued with neutrals but if the background wasn't a neutral also, those stitches really were noticeable.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cherylynne
    I do this as well. I use matching thread of the applique piece.

Lately I've been using Masterpiece by Superior Threads. Connecting Threads has a bobbin donut with 36 different colors on cardboard bobbins. They also sell YLI silk thread in a neutral set. Keepsake has it in more colors. Aurifil 50wt works well also. I used to use Mettler (silk finish? I think) which was also fine. I confess to using doubled thread for convenience. But my official advice is to use one strand.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast