Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique >

Applique

Applique

Old 03-27-2011, 04:01 PM

CherlyLynn.....the little guy in the picture is absolutely adorable!!!!
Old 03-27-2011, 04:11 PM

I've been working on my first needle turn hand applique project all weekend and I am using Sulky rayon. I really like it.

P/s...it's for a wallhanging. I would have likely chosen something more hearty for a usable piece.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:05 PM

I use silk or cotton thread to applique (I hand applique)and focus on matching the tread color. I love the feel I get appliquing with silk thread.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by gal288
I use embroidery floss, one strand, I get the closest match of colors with it, it's 100% cotton and washable. I do rinse the thread to be sure it doesn't bleed.
Glad to see this response because I've used embroidery floss many times and didn't know if that was a good idea or not. I like using it for the variety in color... Good tip about rinsing it.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:37 AM

I especially like the new Coats & Clark Fine--better than silk and it doesn't rot. You can use #450 C&C #50 weight (standard weight for sewing). It's a neutral gray color. I use this color for much of my machine piecing.

For needle turn applique, I always coat it with Thread Heaven, helps with eliminating slip knots.

Sandy
Old 03-28-2011, 06:40 AM

Embroidery floss has too loose a twist for sewing and can wear out more quickly that thread that is intended for machine or hand stitching.

Sandy
Old 03-28-2011, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by sewingladydi
Originally Posted by cherylynne
I use a single silk thread. I do needle turn applique and the stitches are almost invisible. If you want the stitches to show, as in a buttonhole edge stitch, you can use one strand of regular cotton thread in a contrasting or coordinating color.

Do you use a neutral like gray or beige or do you match the color to the applique piece? I'm starting on needle turn and using guterman cotton (50 weight), but my stitches are not as invisible as I'd like.
I only have neutral colors in silk thread. They range from white to beige to tan.

Someone suggested to use the 60 weight cotton thread and someone else suggested the Masterpiece threads from Connecting threads.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Brandi
What kind of thread do you use for applique? I have never appliqued before and this will be my first time.
I use either cotton thread or Anchor embroidery thread which is cotton any way. There are many more colors in the embroidery thread and a lot easier to match to the fabric.