Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Applique Thread

Smile Applique Thread

I do needle turn applique and have found Aurfil invisiable thread that is easy to work with so far,
    but as it is 100% poly, will it melt when pressed and is silk or cotton a better thread to use?

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Have you ever tried silk thread for applique? It 'melts' right into the fibers and disappears when you stitch. You don't even need to use the matching color, 3-4 neutrally colors work amazingly well on almost anything.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.

Blog Entries
    I also love silk thread I have also used Bottom Line Thread when is need a matching colour which is a 60wt Polyester from Superior Threads and that works well too.
    The biggest risk is the one not taken

Blog Entries
    i took a class and was introduced to silk thread for applique... it's like night and day... wonderful to work with.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Blog Entries
    I've used both silk and Bottom Line, which is a 60 wt poly. They both blend and sink into the fabric beautifully, and I have had no problems with the Bottom Line melting. However, I prefer the Bottom Line because I can buy assorted colors on prewound bobbins, which is much more affordable than buying multiple colors of silk on spools. If somebody ever came out with an affordable assortment of silk on bobbins, I could be persuaded to go back to silk.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    Have you ever tried silk thread for applique? It 'melts' right into the fibers and disappears when you stitch. You don't even need to use the matching color, 3-4 neutrally colors work amazingly well on almost anything.

Jan in VA
    I still need to match my thread to the fabric. My needle turn appliqué skills are not quite that good yet... I do agree that silk thread is awesome for appliqué though.

Blog Entries
    Do what I did to test a poly thread. I sewed with it, then took it to the ironing board to see if I could melt it with my iron. I couldn't, and my iron gets very hot. However, there are different qualities of polyester thread; you really need to test each one yourself to be sure.

There was a post on the QB awhile ago from someone who had used both cotton thread and silk thread for a hand appliqued quilt. She said that 7 years later she was having to repair the pieces that had been sewn on with the silk thread; the pieces that had been sewn on with cotton thread were fine. That was just one post, but it does give pause.....

Blog Entries
    I agree, silk thread is the best to applique with as the stitches just melt into the fabric!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post

Jan in VA
    A quilt is a blanket of love. Sharon

Lucky me ... I got a pkg of 6 common color Superior Threads silks FREE!!! Used it to try it and WOW what a difference from the 60wt I was using.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
    Lucky me ... I got a pkg of 6 common color Superior Threads silks FREE!!! Used it to try it and WOW what a difference from the 60wt I was using.
    Would you mind sharing how you got the free goodies?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast