Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: another sewing machine question

another sewing machine question

I think I will need to replace my old - very old - Pfaff soon. I am considering a Pfaff quilt expression 4.0. My local dealer says it will cost around $2500. My question: is this a fair price? I can't seem to find much about pricing on this machine.

My other possibility is one of the Pfaff ambition series but even the top of the line does not have all the features I want - specifically the automatic foot lift.

Anyone have this machine (the quilt expression), do you like it, and what is a reasonable price? Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Check out reviews at http://www.patternreview.com . (If you join, which is free, you can read old reviews as well as the newest ones.) I just did a search there on Pfaff and found this recent review, which gives an approximate price of $1900:
    http://sewing.patternreview.com/Sewi.../Review/1/4874

Edit: I see her purchase price was without the extended table.

Also check out eBay completed listings:
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...&LH_Complete=1
    eBay is always going to be less than a local dealer (no lessons, etc.). The going price on eBay seems to be around $1850 including shipping.
    Last edited by Prism99; 02-02-2013 at 11:20 AM.

I do not know about the price, sorry! It is probably a machine that you have to buy through dealer as it is more upper end. If it has everything you want it will be with you many years so it will probably be worth every penny to you. Some one who has this machine will probably be able to give you more advice. Good luck with what you choose and enjoy!

I have the Pfaff QE4 and love it. Any problems I have had have been user issues (it's a bit more complicated than my more than 20 year old Pfaff 1473). I have been using mine for about a year now.
    Regina in Richmond, KY

Ginaky - what a coincidence! The Pfaff I need to replace is also a 1473 and it has been a terrific machine. Sold me completely on Pfaff (I also have a newer Bernina that I don't like as well). And I am glad to hear that you and others like the machine; I read some very negative reviews and then realized they were written several years ago; more recent purchasers give it a better review. Perhaps Pfaff corrected some of the problems. I am still debating but leaning more and more toward the QE4. Thanks everyone.

I also have a Pfaff 1473 I recently replaced with a Janome 6600, but I truly miss using my Pfaff. I purchase a Pfaff the "Smarter by Pfaff" I had to return it, because it would not let me sew, the message would pop up that the bobbin was empty...which it was not...My Janome is ok, but I am thinking of going back to look at the Pfaffs.
    Dyan

I think prices of machines can vary geographically it would be best to check several dealers in your area and see what they go for in your area. I would go to the dealer try it out, and maybe try other brands or models that do have the features you are looking for, it is a big investment so you want to be happy with your choice
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D, Juki MO-2000QVP

My quilting buddy just bought a Pfaff expression 4.0 and she loves it. We sew on Sunday after noons and text each other while we are working. I have recieved the message "I love my Pfaff" more than pnce! She paid what your dealer is asking. She says it is worth every penny. I also have 2 Pfaff machines. I love them both.

I also have a Pfaff 1473 bought new in 1986 and am still sewing on it all the time. I am afraid something will go wrong with it and I'll have to quit sewing on it. I will probably buy another Pfaff when I need to replace it.
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas

I have a Pfaff 4.0 Quilt Expression. I love the machine. I have had no problems with it and have had it over a year now. You should check to see if they have any floor samples to sell, that can save you at least a couple of hundred.

I too have a Pfaff 4.0 QE, and love it!!! Bought it about1 1/2 years ago, and had some problems that were all operator error and ee solved by taking classes and asking the sewing machine shop staff for help. I believe I paid $2000 for it new.

I have a Pfaff 4.0 QE and just operator error problems. I bought it almost a year ago. I live in Ohio and we have 2 large quilt shows here, one in Cincinnati and one in Columbus every year. They sell the machines that people use for class during the 3 days of the show as new, with full warranty, and they discount them $500 . My machine was taken out of the box but never actually used. It has the 18x24 acrylic sew steady table plus a few other accessories that I can't remember. The shop also gave me 4 extra feet for it that they had laying around in the classroom! I paid $1995 with 24 months same as cash
    Kelly

I bought a QE4 in November and it's back at Pfaff. Everything was fine until I tried to FMQ - bobbin thread breaking and skipping stitches. Dealer couldn't get it to perform properly. Not sure when I'll get it back. Very disappointed.

Never had a moment's bother with my Janome, but wanted the auto-lift and larger harp.
    Lang may yer lum reek. (I'm a knitter - hence - 'Knit-ette'. Confuses a lot of people!)

Remember that if you purchase off ebay or from other non-dealer sites, you may not get the warranty or lessons...and that, for me, is worth the extra dollars.
    Kate

ktbb - I have never purchased off ebay and am sort of too chicken to try it; and as you pointed out, I am wondering how helpful my local dealer would be if I bring in a machine purchased elsewhere! So if I want one I will most likely buy it locally although I may point out the range in prices I am seeing to see if that motivates anyone. Now, can anyone tell me the overall length and width of this machine? I am wondering if it will fit in the cutout space of my sewing desk.

Blog Entries
    I bought this machine 3 years ago for $2,000 without the extension table. Unfortunately, I could not return it or I would have. It was made in China and it has every negative you will discover from reading all the reviews on it. There have been many many reviews on this board alone.

I kept my 1473 when I bought the QE4--I wouldn't part with it for anything! My dealer told me that no one will trade them in, they want to keep them. I have both of them set up, along with my Brother embroidery machine and my Juki serger. I just need to get to my studio and use them more! I do think you'll be happy with the QE4.
    Regina in Richmond, KY

Blog Entries
    I have the 4.0, and bought it last August from a local dealer during the AQS show where in Grand Rapids. I got the machine and the Quilters package (extension table, single hole foot plate, etc) all for the show price of $2,000. So far I really like it. I love the IDT capability, which means you don't need to use a walking foot. I also enjoy the thread cutter, memory for special stitches, and the many different needle positions. I still haven't been able to take the two free classes because of illness and work schedules, but I'm glad to say that I finally get to go to my first class this week! I'm excited to learn about all the other things it can do. I haven't done any FMQ on it, so I can't speak to that part.
    Now I just have to find a wheeled carrying case for it (that doesnt cost a fortune ) so I can easily take it out to my LQS to classes etc. (it comes in a hard cover, but is kind of heavy to tote around with my bad shoulders!) It is too wide for the case I have for my Brother machine. I don't think you'll regret buying it. Good luck!

You may want to take a look at the new Janome 8900. Pfaff states in their ad that their machine has the largest harp n(10"), more stitches, etc. than any of the machines on the market. Not true, the 8900 has 11 inches to the right of the needle. Pfaff says they have 37 needle positions, the 8900 has 91...!! Pfaff model has 222 decorative stitches, 8900 has 270 and it has 9mm width for beautiful decorative stitching. Just a thought....they also have a new 8200 that is less expensive, but with almost all features of the 8900. Your choice, but I would read all the reviews on both machines, and then test drive. You have to be happy with the features and reviews.

Best of luck.
    Diana

I just bought a QE 4 for 2000. I bought it for the auto scissors, needle and feet up/down, IDT, speed control and the 10" throat. This is my second Pfaff and I love the precision stitches. It is a dream to quilt on because of the features listed above. I don't use many decorative stitches, but I do like having the different alphabets to make labels. This machine is loaded with handy features. As others have mentioned, buying from a dealer gives you many advantages and they may be willing to negotiate the price. Good luck on you purchase.
    jean

You know you will hear the good and the bad about any machine, and really only you can make up your mind. If you have not done it yet, take some of your projects and go in and test that machine out. Give it a good test. Look at other machines and put them thru the paces as well. Make a list of the things that are important to you. Make sure the machines you test have all those features. Take some notes. Then go home and make your decision. And quote other prices that you have seen, and perhaps they will come down in price. Ask them if they can't do a better price than that. Never hurts to try and get a lower price. Good luck. Let us know what you decide.
    Amythyst

I highly recommend the Pfaff. After several Pfaff machines I was able to purchase the creative vision last year. I love this machine. I still have 2 of my other Pfaff machines which I still use when the new one is busy doing embroidery. If the 4.0 Quilt Expression sews anything like the other models it should be a wonderful machine.
    Lorraine

I do not own a 4.0 but I have heard negative reports from a dealer but they suppose to have gotten the. Bugs out of the newer models like the Creative Sensation. I am thinking about purchasing the new 1200 Janome any one have a comment on this model.

Blog Entries
    I had a Pfaff 1473, that I bought back in the mid 80's I think, and loved it. About 5 years ago my husband got me a Pfaff 7570, and we gave my 1473 to a friend. She is still using it, and I am still loving my 7570. It also has the embroidery module with it, but I don't get much use out of it, but I plan to keep the 7570 until I die. I also have a Brother CS6000i, a 1954 Featherweight, and an older New Home. I let my students use my Brother and New Home. I am sold on Pfaff products.

My best friend received the Pfaff Expressions 4.0 with addition of embroidery module just about a year ago as a gift from her DH. She sewed very little on it due to work and family commitments, but just before Christmas was finally getting some time on the machine when it failed - whenever she would press on the foot pedal, the machine shut off. Went to dealer, 7 weeks, new power supply and new mother board later, she finally has it back. Dealer only gave her an additional 2 months of the original 1 year part of the warranty.She is quite concerned that there is some inherent flaw that will come back to haunt her.
    She is a big Pfaff fan, having her original 20+ year old one still, just wanted some of the newer features.
    We both have our fingers crossed it was an unusual flaw and resolved fully now!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast