Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
another sewing machine question >

another sewing machine question

another sewing machine question

Old 02-04-2013, 06:52 AM

You know you will hear the good and the bad about any machine, and really only you can make up your mind. If you have not done it yet, take some of your projects and go in and test that machine out. Give it a good test. Look at other machines and put them thru the paces as well. Make a list of the things that are important to you. Make sure the machines you test have all those features. Take some notes. Then go home and make your decision. And quote other prices that you have seen, and perhaps they will come down in price. Ask them if they can't do a better price than that. Never hurts to try and get a lower price. Good luck. Let us know what you decide.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:38 AM

I highly recommend the Pfaff. After several Pfaff machines I was able to purchase the creative vision last year. I love this machine. I still have 2 of my other Pfaff machines which I still use when the new one is busy doing embroidery. If the 4.0 Quilt Expression sews anything like the other models it should be a wonderful machine.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:24 AM

I do not own a 4.0 but I have heard negative reports from a dealer but they suppose to have gotten the. Bugs out of the newer models like the Creative Sensation. I am thinking about purchasing the new 1200 Janome any one have a comment on this model.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:34 AM

I had a Pfaff 1473, that I bought back in the mid 80's I think, and loved it. About 5 years ago my husband got me a Pfaff 7570, and we gave my 1473 to a friend. She is still using it, and I am still loving my 7570. It also has the embroidery module with it, but I don't get much use out of it, but I plan to keep the 7570 until I die. I also have a Brother CS6000i, a 1954 Featherweight, and an older New Home. I let my students use my Brother and New Home. I am sold on Pfaff products.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:49 AM

My best friend received the Pfaff Expressions 4.0 with addition of embroidery module just about a year ago as a gift from her DH. She sewed very little on it due to work and family commitments, but just before Christmas was finally getting some time on the machine when it failed - whenever she would press on the foot pedal, the machine shut off. Went to dealer, 7 weeks, new power supply and new mother board later, she finally has it back. Dealer only gave her an additional 2 months of the original 1 year part of the warranty.She is quite concerned that there is some inherent flaw that will come back to haunt her.
She is a big Pfaff fan, having her original 20+ year old one still, just wanted some of the newer features.
We both have our fingers crossed it was an unusual flaw and resolved fully now!
Old 02-04-2013, 12:25 PM
Power Poster

One thing I didn't think to mention concerning price is that you can typically get sewing machines at their lowest price during state fairs and sometimes big quilt shows. Where we are, you don't even have to go to the state fair to get the price; you just need to go to the dealership and ask for the state fair price. I think it's because they sell so many machines at those shows, the dealers are able to get them at a discount from the manufacturer.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:35 PM

I have a Pfaff 1471 that I adore. I use it for everything. I love Pfaffs, but I'm not happy with my local dealer (I lived in another state when I purchased the 1471). I'll still want a Pfaff if and when this one bites the dust, but I'll probably have to travel several hundred miles to find a good dealer.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:59 PM

That is a great idea about waiting for the State Fair or a big quilt show. Unfortunately our state fair is in the fall but the Dallas, TX quilt guild show is coming up in March. That gives me some time to look around and make some comparisons but I really think I want the Pfaff. I have enjoyed the one I have so much and it stitches beautifully. Just think, that, along with a lot of upgrades - wonderful!
Old 02-04-2013, 03:48 PM

I have the 4.0 you are considering and I love it. I bought it 2 years ago at Road To California quilt show and use it all the time. I paid $1900 for it then and the prices have held their value it seems. You might also check EBay for one, sometimes they have them listed for under that price but are used. If you have any large quilt shows in your area coming up you might want to wait and get a show special deal. It has some wonderful features and the two I really like are the large throat and also the partial needle up when you come to a corner so you can pivot without taking the needle out of the item you are sorking on.