Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Appliquer want to be - needs help >

Appliquer want to be - needs help

Appliquer want to be - needs help

Old 04-21-2010, 10:04 AM

I love applique. I see beautiful applique quilts and want to make one. I have bought a few applique technique books over the years. I have read through them, but that is as far as it goes. I am left confused. I know that there are two kinds of applique, hand and machine, but when I see applique patterns and the designer says, "Use your preferred method," that is where the confusion comes in.
Here are my questions:
What are the different ways to get applique pieces on fabric and
How does one know which one to use.
Thank you
Old 04-21-2010, 10:37 AM

Hi Joan,

This is a big subject! People have written books on the various methods of doing applique. One of my favorite books is by Harriet Hargrave, Mastering Machine Applique: The Complete Guide. This book has been out awhile, you might check at your local library. I learned alot about sewing in general from her book

Also, national award-winning quilter Sharon Schamber has classes onlline, including some FREE classes. I noticed in her free section there is a video on raw edge applique as well as turned edge applique. Perhaps watching those would get you started. Here's the link:
http://sharonschambernetwork.com/Classes.aspx
Old 04-21-2010, 11:11 AM

Thank you Connie
I will check out the Hargrave book, and sharon's site.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by AtHomeSewing
Hi Joan,

This is a big subject! People have written books on the various methods of doing applique. One of my favorite books is by Harriet Hargrave, Mastering Machine Applique: The Complete Guide. This book has been out awhile, you might check at your local library. I learned alot about sewing in general from her book

Also, national award-winning quilter Sharon Schamber has classes onlline, including some FREE classes. I noticed in her free section there is a video on raw edge applique as well as turned edge applique. Perhaps watching those would get you started. Here's the link:
http://sharonschambernetwork.com/Classes.aspx
thanks for the link
Old 04-21-2010, 11:45 AM

I'm a traditional Baltimore style appliquer, if there is such a thing. I like the needle turn method.
I love the Elly Sienkiewicz books and started with her Baltimore Beauties and Beyond. Just start with the first lesson in the book and stitch away.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:16 PM

There are several little videos and tutorials on the internet and you might catch some of the newest ideas and methods that way.

I ran through a list of books on Amazon and bought a low price used book on appliques for a friend. Something like 12 ways to do applique. I didn't fall in love with any of the patterns but if it explaned how the different kinds were done that would be enough for my friend to look at and read.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:35 PM

I like Eleanor Burns' method. She uses fusible interfacing to turn the edges under.

I have done the Heat and Bond method and then machine sew around it. That works well, too.

I'm way too lazy for needle turn.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:50 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions. I really want to learn how and I know it takes some thought and practice.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:03 PM

I do needle turn, "Piece of Cake" by Beck Goldsmith and ??? sorry drawing a blank on her partner.
They have several books on the subject.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:32 PM

I also love to do hand applique and have a number of books, the one I have found to be the most informative is "12 Ways To Applique" by Elly Seinkeiwicz. She teaches 12 different methods, includes patterns for projects and the best method to use not only for the pattern but for each element within the pattern. You won't be dissappointed with this one. I also have "Applique The Piece O'Cake Way" which is not nearly as informative, it's ok, but for a first book i highly reccomend "12 Ways..." I don't think you will be disappointed.
Have fun!!