Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Appliquer want to be - needs help >

Appliquer want to be - needs help

Appliquer want to be - needs help

Old 04-23-2010, 05:01 AM

Applique is my favorite thing to do. My mom taught me and I guess I do it the old fashion way. I cut out allowing an extra 1/4" turn that under, baste. Some of the parts I may use wonder under and if I do, then I do the blanket stitch by hand. I love the way it looks and I enjoy hand work will listening to the tv.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:06 AM

I love applique but because of a pinched nerve in my neck at C4 I can't do hand needle work of any kind, so I do everything by machine.

I use the fusible method because I am one of those people who wants to get one top done so I can start another.

With the fusible you can get many different looks depending on what stitch you use. I use zig-sag, blanket stitch and all the decorative stitches on my Baby Lock Ellegante. Then when you use monofiliment, black, varigated, gold or silver, or matching thread you can get any 'look' you want.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:27 AM
Suz

I think you should also consider how the finished product will be used. If an heirloom, then by all means use the needleturn method. If the project will be in the washer often, then use the easier and quicker methods of fusible/satin/macnine stitched.

You do not want to put a lot of time into a project will will be roughly used, i.e, a baby or child's quilt.

Suzanne
Old 04-23-2010, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by ctquilter
I also love to do hand applique and have a number of books, the one I have found to be the most informative is "12 Ways To Applique" by Elly Seinkeiwicz. She teaches 12 different methods, includes patterns for projects and the best method to use not only for the pattern but for each element within the pattern. You won't be dissappointed with this one. I also have "Applique The Piece O'Cake Way" which is not nearly as informative, it's ok, but for a first book i highly reccomend "12 Ways..." I don't think you will be disappointed.
Have fun!!
I have most of Elly's books and have taken classes from her. I agree with 12 Ways to Applique, is a great book. I love hand applique. I recently did it on the Rainforest Rain quilt, I had forgot how much I missed hand applique. I have been doing so much piecing and handquilting lately. So I bought a great book on tea cups and some funny Amy Bradley patterns, so I am at it again.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:26 AM

Thank you for the site, I spent a lot of time on it today and learned a lot.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:33 AM

Using a heart template was the way I learned. I still have my very first sample. Everyone here has covered and very well the different methods and the best books. And they are right, be brave and just jump in. I would recommend #10 straw needles, yli silk thread and a very good thimble. One other thing I use for templates, those subscriptions cards that are in the mags, much better than card stock, for me anyway. The yli silk thread you will probably have to order it. Do a search on the fabshophop. Have fun!
Old 04-23-2010, 10:49 AM

Thanks to all of you for your helpful comments and suggestions. As I mentioned in my post, I do have a few technique books that I have been looking through again, and I also got the Hargrave book from the library. That one is for machine applique, but it is very helpful. After I do some practicing with the different methods, I have decided I want to do a Sunbonnet Sue quilt for my new grandneice who is coming in May.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:48 PM

It all depends if you want to do hand or machine, raw edge or needle turn... We all have our favs. I do nothing but needle turn, but like all the others to look at . There is a lot on line about all the different ways, read up on them all. Try them all and then decide what you like to do best. Just have fun.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:26 PM

Last year I bought the DVD by Karen Kay Buckley that was highly recommended. She goes over everything from supplies, helpful gadgets, to all the different types of applique. I still watch it before I applique in cse I forgot something. Her quilts are beautiful!
Old 04-23-2010, 05:10 PM

I took a class with Karen last yr. in Chicago. It was great.
This yr I was lucky enough to take a class in called needle turn with a twist--it was also great.