Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
ATTEMPTING To Learn Hand Applique >

ATTEMPTING To Learn Hand Applique

ATTEMPTING To Learn Hand Applique

Old 03-05-2015, 10:06 AM

Isn't it nice that there are so many different methods to choose from! Thus far I've only tried the needle turn, without freezer paper. The instructions in the Piece O'Cake book I read were just wonderful -- clear and detailed, with close-up photos.

Good luck on your new adventure, Boston!
Old 03-05-2015, 11:10 AM

Because of the issues i've had with my thumbs, i have not been able to do needle turn for several years. I spend my pre-applique time making card stock templates which i use to prep all my pieces in advance. Or i use the "stitch interfacing to the fabric and flip it" to get my shapes. It does take time to prep all my pieces in advance - but then the stitching zips along very quickly - so i figure it comes out about equal.
As Joe'smom said...there are lots of ways to get where you want to go with hand applique....and yes it IS addictive.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by PenniF View Post
Because of the issues i've had with my thumbs, i have not been able to do needle turn for several years. I spend my pre-applique time making card stock templates which i use to prep all my pieces in advance. Or i use the "stitch interfacing to the fabric and flip it" to get my shapes. It does take time to prep all my pieces in advance - but then the stitching zips along very quickly - so i figure it comes out about equal.
As Joe'smom said...there are lots of ways to get where you want to go with hand applique....and yes it IS addictive.
I'm also learning to applique and I was intrigued with the interfacing/flip method. I did one this AM and although, it looks very nice and clean, my interfacing is way too heavy and the piece is stiff. I'm using featherweight. What are you using?

Thanks, Cindy
Old 03-06-2015, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
I'm also learning to applique and I was intrigued with the interfacing/flip method. I did one this AM and although, it looks very nice and clean, my interfacing is way too heavy and the piece is stiff. I'm using featherweight. What are you using?

Thanks, Cindy
I use Pelon's lightest weight, non-adhesive.....once it's flipped and pressed i cut away the interfacing. I have not found it to be too thick. I also look for very very inexpensive ultra light weight fabrics and use those sometimes as well. If you want to look at my place-mats in the pictures section - except for the "MOM" one - they are all done with the 2 methods i described...tho these are machine stitched as i am still not able to do hand sewing til my full recovery from thumb surgery.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by PenniF View Post
I use Pelon's lightest weight, non-adhesive.....once it's flipped and pressed i cut away the interfacing. I have not found it to be too thick. I also look for very very inexpensive ultra light weight fabrics and use those sometimes as well. If you want to look at my place-mats in the pictures section - except for the "MOM" one - they are all done with the 2 methods i described...tho these are machine stitched as i am still not able to do hand sewing til my full recovery from thumb surgery.
Thanks for the tips. Hummm...no adhesive? I like the pieces to stick to the quilt so that they stay in place, but I suppose that you could use pins, or even glue for that. I have also thought about cutting away much of the interfacing after it's sewn to the applique piece. Now, I'm on a quest to find super light interfacing. I don't have many options nearby and I didn't have any luck shopping online with that 'featherweight' stuff. I'll have to keep looking.

~ Cindy