Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
ATTEMPTING To Learn Hand Applique >

ATTEMPTING To Learn Hand Applique

ATTEMPTING To Learn Hand Applique

Old 03-04-2015, 03:50 PM
Power Poster

Default ATTEMPTING To Learn Hand Applique

Please keep your fingers crossed as I start this journey. I read instructions online, and have picked a simple leaf type shape. I am using the freezer paper method and Connecting Threads since I have more colors to choose from. I do not know if my cutting the 1/4 inch around the paper is accurate, and wonder if it will make a great difference to my little practice project. We will see.

Just think of me from time to time as you work on your sewing. Anne needs all the luck she can get.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:54 PM
Power Poster

All the best in your new adventure, applique is very addictive, and I think you will find the finish of a hand appliqued piece is way better than machine.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:28 PM
Power Poster

I have a pattern that I want to do with freezer paper and anxious to have a friend show me the ropes. She needs help with EQ so we are going to teach each other what the other wants to learn. Should be a lot of fun.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:29 PM

Erin Russek has a good tutorial on her blog. Look for 'Appique Lessons' on the right hand column.

http://www.erinrussek.typepad.com/
Old 03-04-2015, 05:42 PM

Good luck and have fun!! Just remember........ the more you do it the better you will get!! I love applique!
Old 03-04-2015, 08:01 PM

I was taught to use spray starch. Spray a small amount of Magic Sizing in a paper cup or container, use a cheap paint brush, little one, and paint the spray starch on the 1/4" edge. Either iron it or press it with your fingers. I ironed mine. Then applique it. It is not glue but the 1/4" stays put, especially in the middle of the "v" spots. It really helped me.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:18 PM

Good luck with your new adventure and remember applique is very addictive. Teresa of the Fabric Therapy blog uses a glue stick and has posted a tutorial. Check out this method too .... just click the tutorial tab.

http://fabrictherapy.blogspot.com/
Old 03-05-2015, 05:36 AM
Power Poster

Hey Boston, assuming you are trying needle turn. Are you using the method where you apply the freezer paper to the front and use it as your guide (ala Piece 'o Cake) or are you ironing it the back and using it as bit of a rigid surface to wrap your fabric around?

I too am teaching myself needle turn applique. I have tried drawing on the fabric and turning on the drawn line (which would be equivalent to the FP on top like Pieceocake) but I find I much prefer ironing my FP to the back and using it as reinforcement to wrap my fabric around. This method does require I cut my background fabric once my applique is sewn on so I can remove the freezer paper. I usually just cut a slit in the background. I love this method and it works best for me.

I love having handwork to do and I work a little bit each evening. I currently have 4 hand applique projects going. One is prepared applique, where the seam allowance is already turned under before stitching, but the others are all needle turn with FP. They are varying degrees of difficulty. From super easy to more complex. Not as complex as the little brown bird or a Baltimore Album! Not sure I will ever be ready for that.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 03-05-2015 at 05:40 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:02 AM
Power Poster

Hi Feline,
I am pressing the freezer paper to the back of the applique and after stitching, cut the backing the pull the freezer paper out with tweezers. My first leaf had a bit of a pucker when I got done. The second (in progress) was pinned a bit better.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
Hi Feline,
I am pressing the freezer paper to the back of the applique and after stitching, cut the backing the pull the freezer paper out with tweezers. My first leaf had a bit of a pucker when I got done. The second (in progress) was pinned a bit better.
Oh yes I have had that happen because I didn't have the unit pinned well enough. I ended up gathering up some of my background fabric. Have had to take out a couple of inches worth of stitching. Then another time by background folded over underneath and I caught it. Yup more taking out stitches. But at least it is a lot easier than trying to rip out machine stitching. Sometimes puckers are caused by pulling your thread too tight when you take the applique stitch. I have had that happen too.