View Single Post
Old 03-05-2015, 05:36 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Hey Boston, assuming you are trying needle turn. Are you using the method where you apply the freezer paper to the front and use it as your guide (ala Piece 'o Cake) or are you ironing it the back and using it as bit of a rigid surface to wrap your fabric around?

I too am teaching myself needle turn applique. I have tried drawing on the fabric and turning on the drawn line (which would be equivalent to the FP on top like Pieceocake) but I find I much prefer ironing my FP to the back and using it as reinforcement to wrap my fabric around. This method does require I cut my background fabric once my applique is sewn on so I can remove the freezer paper. I usually just cut a slit in the background. I love this method and it works best for me.

I love having handwork to do and I work a little bit each evening. I currently have 4 hand applique projects going. One is prepared applique, where the seam allowance is already turned under before stitching, but the others are all needle turn with FP. They are varying degrees of difficulty. From super easy to more complex. Not as complex as the little brown bird or a Baltimore Album! Not sure I will ever be ready for that.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 03-05-2015 at 05:40 AM.