Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Aurifil Thread >

Aurifil Thread

Aurifil Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 02:28 PM

Aurifil thread. I don't use anything else for my piecing. And I also buy it from Discount Embroidery supply.com
Old 05-30-2012, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
Extremely low lint, thin but strong, plus when you wind a bobbin you get a lot more thread on the bobbin so you don't have to change bobbins as often. And if you figure the cost per yard it's not any more expensive than some of the bargain brands.
I agree.
Think you can order it from Keepsake Quilting. They have a sale on now but I'm not sure if the thread is included.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Love2Craft View Post
I have another thread question....I have an embroidery machine that I don't use much anymore...but I have LOTS of polyester ARC brand thread. Is that suitable to use for regular sewing? It seems pretty strong and I have about 300 colors!!!! I'd be interested in any opinions!!!
I've read embroidery thread should not be used for regular sewing but it can be used for decorative stitches or quilting.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:01 PM

How is it for hand applique, I wonder? I have trouble with my thread knotting up when I'm doing hand work (applique or sewing the binding on). I usually use Gutterman or Metrosene (I think that's how you spell them).
Old 05-30-2012, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
The last time I bought Aurifil I ordered from http://www.discountembroiderysupply.com/ but I have also ordered from http://www.redrockthreads.com/ and http://www.tristan.bc.ca/cart/home.php The Tristan site is in Canada so there can be extra costs.
Can you buy single spools or small collections at these places? I don't want (or need) 47325 spools to start with... LOL!
Old 05-31-2012, 03:56 AM

Long staple=less lint with strength.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
How is it for hand applique, I wonder? I have trouble with my thread knotting up when I'm doing hand work (applique or sewing the binding on). I usually use Gutterman or Metrosene (I think that's how you spell them).
I use it for hand work and have not had any problems. And yes, you can buy it one spool at a time thru Tristan ... though whenyou're paying shipping, most buy multiples to spread out the cost. For one spool, I'd just pay the higher price thru a LQS and try it out for hand work and in the machine.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:43 AM

I've been wanting to try it since hearing about it from this wonderful board. Bought a big spool at Red Rock and couldn't wait to finish the spool of Mettler I had on my machine. Well, it happened yesterday! Filled many bobbins and finished my piecing on the current project. What a difference! I'm a convert!

I notice that there aren't many places that sell the big spools and I wonder why. I don't really need all the colors and I like the convenience of the big spools.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
You can certainly use Aurifil 50wt* in applique.
However, Superior Threads' Bottom Line is the best thread for applique in my opinion. Completely disappears. It's a 60wt poly. I used to use it for handpiecing too, but have switched for that to Mettler 60wt cotton embroidery thread.

* the prices for most of the sources listed are about $9/spool; too expensive for me.
I always get mine from Tristan in Canada.
There are always quilters in my Guilds that want in on an Aurifil order, thus spreading the high shipping cost. It usually comes out that we're paying around $5/spool, including shipping

Last edited by gollytwo; 05-31-2012 at 04:57 AM. Reason: additional information
Old 05-31-2012, 04:55 AM

Thanks for the input. I'm fairly new at this quilting bug so I have lots to learn. I just found out with my last quilt on the frame that squaring up your blocks before putting them together is essential. Though the top looked square, when it came down to quilting the borders............YIKES!!!! Were they off kilter. Had the dickens of a time quilting them using the robotic system. Thanks for everyone's input as we newbies need all the help we can get.