Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: Aurifil Thread

It was poly Gutermann. I also sew garments/curtains and it works for that. Most quilt stores here either have their own preferred brand of thread, sometimes depending on whose machines they carry, or just carry fabric. Try finding anything different in Joannes, Hancock or Hobby Lobby. I prefer Metrosene for garments, but you can't find a large spool here. The shop where I bought the thread is also a Bernina dealer and the thread is in with Bernina.

I'm not dissing any dealer - they have to sell, support and believe in what they sell. But this post didn't solicit any dealer-type praise for the thread. You mostly found it worked on your own and said so.

I was using the long skinny plate for the Mini iron as I'm tired of accidently burning fingers or not being able to see what I'm doing. I'm not nearsighted, just like having things right under my nose. The skinny plate just covers 1/2" or an open 1/4" seam.

I buy my Aurifil thread through Tristan threads out of Canada. they have some great deals and with paying for shipping and such the cost is still lower than buying it locally. http://www.tristan.bc.ca/cart/home.php

My machines love it...it is very strong, but thin...and doesn't leave much lint. I think my only drawback would be a bit limited in some of the colors...but that's OK.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

Quote Originally Posted by Tink's Mom View Post
    My machines love it...it is very strong, but thin...and doesn't leave much lint. I think my only drawback would be a bit limited in some of the colors...but that's OK.
    There's no limitation in the colours or shades of the colours ... only that your local supplier may not be stocking them!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I use Aurifil for both piecing and quilting. I have a robotic quilting system and the one thing you don't want is a breakage while quilting. That means you have to stop and go back ... my machine loves it in the bottom and on top, it's great. And I don't use a lot of colors either, I use light nuturals for about everything. Just my thought, Mona~

I buy it at Sue's SewEZ Designs online. Super fast shipping and good prices. Love that thread, it is not linty.

Blog Entries
    Ditto, I love the low lint!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raggiemom View Post
    I use this thread and love it. I very seldom have any trouble with this thread and it is pretty much lint-free.

KR
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I tried some myself and I do like it. As others have said it's thin but strong. My Bernina loves it in the bobbin and on the spool. I have just used it for piecing so far. I think I will buy a few more colours and try it on FMQ next.
    After reading all the comments here I finally bought a spool of Aurifil. Well! It only took sewing a few seams to fall in love with this thread! It just FEELS good! And I can almost hear my sweet Brother say, "thank you.....now go get rid of all that cheap thread you have in the drawer!" Thanks QBers for all your raves about this thread!
    Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift....that's why it's called the present.
    Karen

I just purchased some Aurifil thread in 50 & 40 weight. Will 40 wt work for FMQ? What is the difference between these two weights?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KR View Post
    After reading all the comments here I finally bought a spool of Aurifil. Well! It only took sewing a few seams to fall in love with this thread! It just FEELS good! And I can almost hear my sweet Brother say, "thank you.....now go get rid of all that cheap thread you have in the drawer!" Thanks QBers for all your raves about this thread!
    I'm glad you like it. I started using it a few years ago because I couldn't get my blocks to be the right size. My teacher checked my cutting and seams and they were right. She then suggested this thread because of it being only two ply it makes a difference when you have several seams in a block. I was amazed at how my blocks were turning out after I started them. I used it to do cross-hatchin on fabric that I quilted for a jacket and I had no problems with it. I have the viking mega quilter and the viking rep said they recommend this thread for it. I never have to touch my settings and I love the fact that there is low lint too. Save the cheap thread incase you want to practice FMQ or something that doesn't require having the good stuff in it. Like maybe even just basting or something like that.
    Judy

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5