Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Aurifil Thread

Blog Entries
    my machine loves it too! it leaves less lint, dosen't break and is about the same price if I buy it on ebay
    Patski
    always learning

I have a Tin Lizzie, but have never tried it on that. Do you use the 50 wt?

Quote Originally Posted by Love2Craft View Post
    Where is the best place to buy this thread?
    I like the prices at jhittlesewing.com

I love Aurifil because it generates least amount, if any, lint and it's very strong.

Blog Entries
    "WOW! I just looked at their site, and the regular 50wt is about 1/2 price to what I've seen it at in several LQS' here in Canada. hhmmm? wonder why? Not that I'm arguing!"

I made a post on FB about buying Aurifil threat from Tristan in Canada. A guy from Aurifil posted a comment and said Tristan was selling close out colors and threads that were being phased out. Who cares! The thread I got is awesome. I also gave some to my BFF and she loves it too!

BTW ... the shipping fees/methods are clearly explained in the link on their site. And they do ship to Internationally.[/QUOTE]

I get mine from jhittle.com too. Good price on Aurifil thread & free shipping on orders over $100. Get some friends to order and you'll get to $100 easily. My friends love it also.

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    The last time I bought Aurifil I ordered from http://www.discountembroiderysupply.com/ but I have also ordered from http://www.redrockthreads.com/ and http://www.tristan.bc.ca/cart/home.php The Tristan site is in Canada so there can be extra costs.
    thanks for the great info

Ditto on the Mettler. I've been using it for years and I tried Masterpiece from Superior. The Masterpiece is so much better. I'll give Aurifil another try, I just don't have enough colors yet.
    Donna in Bellevue

Blog Entries
    My Bernina 830 loves it too, slowly gettin lots of colors but sew mostly with nuturals.

Blog Entries
    Love this forum! Just ordered from the Canadian company and got 6 spools including shipping to the US for $6 each. Thanks for the information. By the way, my machine (Bernina QE) loves Aurifil and I love how perfect the stitch looks each time.

I've used YLI Soft Touch 60 wt for piecing for years. I ordered the cones, but I'm having trouble finding the cones in anything but neutral colors now, so I may try the Aurifil and see if I like it better. The YLI is also great for applique. I may continue to buy it in the smaller spools for that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
    How is it for hand applique, I wonder? I have trouble with my thread knotting up when I'm doing hand work (applique or sewing the binding on). I usually use Gutterman or Metrosene (I think that's how you spell them).
    You might want to try putting wax on your thread if you are having trouble with it knotting up. Just get a block of bee's wax and run the thread over the edge of it.

Blog Entries
    Question for hand quilters: what ply do you use for hand quiting? and do you use 50 wt?

I just purchased a couple spools on ebay in the color I use--$7.60 each and $2.50 shipping for the 2.

I have aurifil but have gone to all Superior thread line.

Quote Originally Posted by be a quilter View Post
    You might want to try putting wax on your thread if you are having trouble with it knotting up. Just get a block of bee's wax and run the thread over the edge of it.
    If ya can't fine beeswax. Try Thread Heaven. When I was first tryin' ta hand quilt I couldn't find any beeswax, 'cause Midland was too small. But my LQS eventually carried Thread Heaven. Bees wax is cheaper. I like both.
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

I just found it at pumpkinvinecorner.com. It is 8.79 a spool. They have all the different wts, and a lot of colors. They even have the big cones. I have never ordered from here before, but it looks pretty good. Anyone else ever order from here? I'm not sure about the shipping cost yet.

Quote Originally Posted by be a quilter View Post
    Question for hand quilters: what ply do you use for hand quiting? and do you use 50 wt?
    For hand quilting, I use a quilting thread especially for hand quilting. It has a coating on the thread so it is strong and glides through the layers.

Blog Entries
    Aurifil is a brand name of thread. Genziana Cotton Mako and Tre Stelle Oro Cotton and Aurifil are all the same thread. I remember when Aurifil was introduced to the US quilt market a few decades ago. Two women were on several tv quilt shows at the time promoting the Italian thread being imported to the US. I buy Aurifil and Genziana here:http://www.tristan.bc.ca/cart/home.p...ction=0&page=2
    Got fabric?

Thanks, everyone. Read all the reviews and bought some. You are right about piecing.

I was using Gutermann, and the mini iron got too hot and melted it, and couldn't pull stitches out even without pressing.

With the Aurifill, I could grab the bobbin thread and pull!. It goes through the fabric like a hot knife in butter. Maybe it doesn't have as many slubs?

Quote Originally Posted by Weezy Rider View Post
    Thanks, everyone. Read all the reviews and bought some. You are right about piecing.

I was using Gutermann, and the mini iron got too hot and melted it, and couldn't pull stitches out even without pressing.

With the Aurifill, I could grab the bobbin thread and pull!. It goes through the fabric like a hot knife in butter. Maybe it doesn't have as many slubs?
    The Gutermann cotton thread melted???
    That's the one I buy.

Quote Originally Posted by damaquilts View Post
    The Gutermann cotton thread melted???
    That's the one I buy.

Cotton should not melt ... my guess is that she must have been using a rayon or perhaps polyester Gutterman thread.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

My local quilt shop owner recommended the Aurifil for piecing about a year ago. It took me a year to finish the spool - the orange base size which costs about $10.49. I love how it works in my Janome, no breaks, no lint, no tangles. 5 stars from me.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    Cotton should not melt ... my guess is that she must have been using a rayon or perhaps polyester Gutterman thread.
    Thats what I was thinking. I use the cotton . I don't think I have any poly by gutermann

I'm really tempted by the Tristan site but was wondering if anyone in the US who has ordered could let me know what the import duties, taxes & other clearance charges were? I had a really bad experience trying to send someone in Canada some fabric. She refused the fabric, understandably, because the "custom fees" was about $40, so I returned her money (less than the original fabric cost). I also lost the shipping charges and the fabric was never returned to me. As they say, no good deed goes unpunished

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast