Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Aurifil Thread

GollyTwo .. you can get aurifil poly ... as well as wool! Check the site that ScissorsQ noted.

ScissorsQ ... That's not uncommon when using a CC in another country. There was a thread in the winter that a lot of the SnowBirds posted to .... some could not even used their card in the USA. And some that could, paid a surcharge. That's more an issue with your CC company, than the vendor. Yes, perhaps they add the fee on, but that'll be because they are charged by the CC company.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Quote Originally Posted by sandy l View Post
    I do all of my piecing with Aurifil.
    So do I. I love Aurifil!

just my two cents worth that every comment above is all true and correct! i also use my janome for quilting as well as just piecing and the thread just doesn't break at all using fmq compared to the other couple of brands that i have tried. i have spools upon spools of thread here that i bought 'on sale' and i just don't think i will ever use it. aurifil is definitely the way to go! i use it in hand sewing also.
    A rolling stone gathers no moss

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paulswalia View Post
    I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE aurifil thread. For one thing, the weight (50) Is strong yet thin and when you press a seam it doesn't take up any space. I know that sounds snobbish, kinda picky, but my piecing has been so much more accurate since I started using aurifil. And I swear it's like the loaves and fishes story - I use it, leave the room, and there's more on the spool when I get back (okay, I know that's not true, but...) the larger spool just seems to never run out!
    Is this thread good for FMQ?
    Every Sunrise brings a blessing

I am a new convert to Aurifil thread. I heard about about it at a workshop led by Carol Taylor. She wanted all of us to try it. I was sold right than and there. There is less lint!

Quote Originally Posted by Marilynsue View Post
    I've been usin' it for FMQ. For me it works great. The lady that I took the FMQ class from even recommended it.
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

I've ordered from Tristan's a couple of times and have never had a charge. Maybe because I used a debit card? Even with shipping from Canada, it's still close to half of the price that I pay locally. When I ordered through them, I got a door crasher that was something like 15 spools.

Prior to my conversion to Aurifil, I used Mettler silk-finish cotton... Now when I put a spool of Mettler in, I hate it! It seems likes it's all slubby and chunky. I've been trying to use it up.

all the replies are spot on! Aurifil thread just works so great in my machine. Whenever I have gotten a different brand I have been so disappointed that I go back to Aurifil for a great look for my seams and a smooth running machine. I order mine from Tristan's in Canada and it is still a good deal!

I have been using Aurfil for at least 10 years, introduced to it by a teacher I took a FMQ class from. My FW does not like it in the bobbin. I have also used it on my HQ 16 for quilting. love, love love it.
    Oh yea, my go to for ordering is Tristan Threads, even with the higher shipping it is still cheaper.
    After 2 years with the same signature I have been requested to remove it. Bye

Superior Thread company also sells it...I think the addy is superiorthreads.com.........
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Senior Member Chester the bunny's Avatar
    LOVE Aurifil. When there were wildfires all around us, I packed up all my Aurifil and told my husband, this box goes in the car if we need to evacuate...forget about the family pictures.

There are for those who like to buy more than one spool at a time there are a few 12 packs of different colors.
    Called "Kit Art A few of my favorite Threads" by Edyta Sitar and "The Basic Collection" by Mark Lipinski and a few others....

Carole

Quote Originally Posted by momto5 View Post
    Superior Thread company also sells it...I think the addy is superiorthreads.com.........

Superior Threads sells Superior Threads. They don't sell other company's threads.

Superior Threads "Masterpiece" is what I use to piece with. It might be worth a price comparison. It is also 50 wt and comparable to, or IMHO better than, Aurofil.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Blog Entries
    I love Aurifil thread. When I had my quilt store, I became aquainted with it and fell in love. Once closing the store, I didn't have access to it and any I did find was very expensive. Then I found Tristan Italian Threads in B.C. here in Canada. I have ordered twice now from them and couldn't believe the service. I had my thread within 5 business days and was thrilled. My Janome 6600, Viking Sapphire 875Q and Tin Lizzie DSL18 all love it and the price is really good. I watch for their sales, but it always seems like something is on sale, so, needless to say, I don't have to do without...in thread at least.
    Quilting is my PASSION not my pass time.
    If Your DREAMS don"t Scare You...Then They Are NOT Big Enough!!!Dare to DREAM!

www.quilterella.ca

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by momto5 View Post
    I doubt Superior Threads sells Aurifil
    Their equivalent is Masterpiece, also a 50wt cotton.
    I'm devoted to Bottom Line and to Bob's titanium needles, but not to Masterpiece - it feels stiff compared to Aurifil.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Needle View Post
    Superior Threads "Masterpiece" is what I use to piece with. It might be worth a price comparison. It is also 50 wt and comparable to, or IMHO better than, Aurofil.
    I haven't tried Aurifil but plan to since I keep hearing such wonderful things about it. I did order Masterpiece about a year ago from Superior Threads and fell in love with it for many of the same reasons listed here for Aurifil. It just seems to last forever, my piecing (never perfect!) is improved, and it doesn't seem to have a lot of lint. It will be interesting to compare them.
    Pat

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marilynsue View Post
    I have not used it for FMQ and think I would prefer a heavier weight for FMQ so that it shows up better.

So all this Gutermann I have been buying at 50% off I need to stop.. lol I like having a wall full of all colors so have been buying it whenever Joann had it on sale. I did buy Bottom Line when I re-upped on The Quilt Show they had a coupon for a free spool.. I got Black and White and I love it . it seems to last forever. I am using up all my Coats and Clark because now that I have use the Gutermann , the C and C justs seems so linty . I have to stop and clean out my machine a lot. I am going to check out the Aurafil. The only thing is if I run out and am in the middle of a project I have to wait for the mail. :-)

[ÇI QUOTE=Scissor Queen;5250740]Extremely low lint, thin but strong, plus when you wind a bobbin you get a lot more thread on the bobbin so you don't have to change bobbins as often. And if you figure the cost per yard it's not any more expensive than some of the bargain brands.[/QUOTE]

I use it for all the same reasons. My Janome loves it

I have a burning question, I read this board every day and see FMQ all the time and I just can't figure out what it stands for so will someone please tell me. Thanks so much.
    Texas raised, Texas Proud

I love Aurifil thread...low lint when sewing, love how much thread I can wind onto a bobbin so don't have
    to change bobbins as often, it is a thinner, but stronger thread, and when you figure out the yardage on a
    spool, it really isn't more expensive.

FMQ means Free Motion Quilting, where you put on your darning foot, hopping foot. put the pressure foot lever down) and move the fabric in whatever direction you wish.

I almost always use Aurifil. It is the best "normal" weight thread I've ever used, and I've used a lot of thread. I often use King Tut quilting thread in the top and Aurifil in the bottom for fmq. I normally work with a neutral color, so when a specific color is required (top stitching) I use a C&C from a large stash that I am trying to use up. I'll be glad when the C&C is gone.

Someone asked about using embroidery thread. All the emb thread I have for my machine is rayon or poly. I tried it once for piecing, but it melted when I ironed the seam, Fortunately I saw it before I sandwiched the quilt so I was able to resew it. Lesson learned: Always use thread that will take the same heat as the fabric. I do use emb thread for decorative stitching on quilts.
    Shirley in Arizona

Dix
    Blog Entries
    Amen to what she said! I never use anything else. Also, for hand quilting I use YLI all the time!!!

Quote Originally Posted by paulswalia View Post
    I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE aurifil thread. For one thing, the weight (50) Is strong yet thin and when you press a seam it doesn't take up any space. I know that sounds snobbish, kinda picky, but my piecing has been so much more accurate since I started using aurifil. And I swear it's like the loaves and fishes story - I use it, leave the room, and there's more on the spool when I get back (okay, I know that's not true, but...) the larger spool just seems to never run out!

Aurifil is my favorite brand of thread. If you hold a strand up to the light and compare it with others, you can see that it is lint free. I automatically clean my bobbin case after each bobbin runs out and I find very little lint. I have always bought mine from Red Rock.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast