Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Aurifil Thread

I love the Aurifil too. I have no problems with it and it sews up, presses and lasts beautifully.

Blog Entries
    Hello Love2Craft I found Aurifil on ebay link below I just finished a quilt and used Aurifil for the first time I must say I will be using the threads again.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AURIFIL-THRE...item4ab8031d31

Quote Originally Posted by Love2Craft View Post
    Where is the best place to buy this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by capucine View Post
    Hello Love2Craft I found Aurifil on ebay link below I just finished a quilt and used Aurifil for the first time I must say I will be using the threads again.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AURIFIL-THRE...item4ab8031d31

As a note ... the link is for a 12 wt thread, so more for handwork, such as the Sashiko they have created the grouping for.

The Tristan link has all different weights of the threads. There's good info about shipping to other countries, including Australia!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I just love you guys!

Might I just add that this is one of the 1000 reasons why I love all you guys! I am just starting to quilt, well I have piddled and paddled in it before but I am really getting into it now. I have made a few baby blankets, mostly rag quilts, and crocheted some too but I am really getting into the whole quilting thing. And I have learned so much from you guys! I have learned so much more from you all then any books could do! I find myself doing whatever you guys say to do, and I am so addicted to this board! I check it all day long at work, and then when I get home too. I love all the pics and all the easier tricks that you all have up your sleeves, love it, love it, love it! My mama is kind of 'old school', don't get on the computer all that much, but she is a pretty good quilter, and I keep telling her what you guys do differently and I have taught her so many of you guys tricks and tips. And she's the quilter, not me! I just had to tell you all this cuz you guys rock!!! Now I gotta go find me some Aurifil thread...lol.

I use Aurifil threads for quilting but I find it to be quite linty. I haven't tried out threads yet so maybe the other threads are more linty but I seem to be pulling out big wads of lint after every bobbin change. Am I doing something wrong to make it lint up for me or what?

I love this thread. My machine loves this thread. It does not lint up the machine. Great quality thread!!!!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

Blog Entries
    With all the great comments, I've got to try it - SOON!

Quote Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
    I use Aurifil threads for quilting but I find it to be quite linty. I haven't tried out threads yet so maybe the other threads are more linty but I seem to be pulling out big wads of lint after every bobbin change. Am I doing something wrong to make it lint up for me or what?
    Keep in mind batting and fabrics also produce lint.

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    Keep in mind batting and fabrics also produce lint.
    Exactly where I was going with this!

Snooze ... if you haven't tried other threads, then no you wouldn't notice the difference. There can be a LOT of lint coming from the batting and fabrics

Quote Originally Posted by teriann View Post
    Might I just add that this is one of the 1000 reasons why I love all you guys! I am just starting to quilt, well I have piddled and paddled in it before but I am really getting into it now. I have made a few baby blankets, mostly rag quilts, and crocheted some too but I am really getting into the whole quilting thing. And I have learned so much from you guys! I have learned so much more from you all then any books could do! I find myself doing whatever you guys say to do, and I am so addicted to this board! I check it all day long at work, and then when I get home too. I love all the pics and all the easier tricks that you all have up your sleeves, love it, love it, love it! My mama is kind of 'old school', don't get on the computer all that much, but she is a pretty good quilter, and I keep telling her what you guys do differently and I have taught her so many of you guys tricks and tips. And she's the quilter, not me! I just had to tell you all this cuz you guys rock!!! Now I gotta go find me some Aurifil thread...lol.
    Go to the Store fast fast fast!!!!!!
    Or better still order a stash from Tristan ... you won't regret it.

Aurifil thread. I don't use anything else for my piecing. And I also buy it from Discount Embroidery supply.com

Blog Entries
    Extremely low lint, thin but strong, plus when you wind a bobbin you get a lot more thread on the bobbin so you don't have to change bobbins as often. And if you figure the cost per yard it's not any more expensive than some of the bargain brands.
    I agree.
    Think you can order it from Keepsake Quilting. They have a sale on now but I'm not sure if the thread is included.

Quote Originally Posted by Love2Craft View Post
    I have another thread question....I have an embroidery machine that I don't use much anymore...but I have LOTS of polyester ARC brand thread. Is that suitable to use for regular sewing? It seems pretty strong and I have about 300 colors!!!! I'd be interested in any opinions!!!
    I've read embroidery thread should not be used for regular sewing but it can be used for decorative stitches or quilting.

How is it for hand applique, I wonder? I have trouble with my thread knotting up when I'm doing hand work (applique or sewing the binding on). I usually use Gutterman or Metrosene (I think that's how you spell them).
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

The last time I bought Aurifil I ordered from http://www.discountembroiderysupply.com/ but I have also ordered from http://www.redrockthreads.com/ and http://www.tristan.bc.ca/cart/home.php The Tristan site is in Canada so there can be extra costs.
    Can you buy single spools or small collections at these places? I don't want (or need) 47325 spools to start with... LOL!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Long staple=less lint with strength.

Quote Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
    How is it for hand applique, I wonder? I have trouble with my thread knotting up when I'm doing hand work (applique or sewing the binding on). I usually use Gutterman or Metrosene (I think that's how you spell them).
    I use it for hand work and have not had any problems. And yes, you can buy it one spool at a time thru Tristan ... though whenyou're paying shipping, most buy multiples to spread out the cost. For one spool, I'd just pay the higher price thru a LQS and try it out for hand work and in the machine.

I've been wanting to try it since hearing about it from this wonderful board. Bought a big spool at Red Rock and couldn't wait to finish the spool of Mettler I had on my machine. Well, it happened yesterday! Filled many bobbins and finished my piecing on the current project. What a difference! I'm a convert!

I notice that there aren't many places that sell the big spools and I wonder why. I don't really need all the colors and I like the convenience of the big spools.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
    You can certainly use Aurifil 50wt* in applique.
    However, Superior Threads' Bottom Line is the best thread for applique in my opinion. Completely disappears. It's a 60wt poly. I used to use it for handpiecing too, but have switched for that to Mettler 60wt cotton embroidery thread.

* the prices for most of the sources listed are about $9/spool; too expensive for me.
    I always get mine from Tristan in Canada.
    There are always quilters in my Guilds that want in on an Aurifil order, thus spreading the high shipping cost. It usually comes out that we're paying around $5/spool, including shipping
    Last edited by gollytwo; 05-31-2012 at 04:57 AM. Reason: additional information

Thanks for the input. I'm fairly new at this quilting bug so I have lots to learn. I just found out with my last quilt on the frame that squaring up your blocks before putting them together is essential. Though the top looked square, when it came down to quilting the borders............YIKES!!!! Were they off kilter. Had the dickens of a time quilting them using the robotic system. Thanks for everyone's input as we newbies need all the help we can get.

When you figure the price per yard on the large spools, Aurifil is actually cheaper than most quality threads.

Check out this site for pricihng and yards per spool. I think you will find one you like...http://jhittlesewing.funoverload.com...new_items.html

Blog Entries
    HELP!! I need an addy for Tristan.....quick!

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    Go to the Store fast fast fast!!!!!!
    Or better still order a stash from Tristan ... you won't regret it.
    Every Sunrise brings a blessing

Quote Originally Posted by Marilynsue View Post
    HELP!! I need an addy for Tristan.....quick!
    It's on page 1, last post.

I love the 50wt but the 28wt doesn't like my machine or visaversa. So now I just use the 50wt for everything, piecing and quilting. Love the colors and way it sinks into the fabric.
    Kate

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast