Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Aurifil Thread >

Aurifil Thread

Aurifil Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 09:04 PM

Gutterman was a close second for breakage
Old 08-10-2014, 10:02 PM

I tried several threads on my HQ16 and had raveling and breakage, then tried Aurifil and it "Harriet" really love it.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:16 PM

I have heard of quilters who have a lot of problems with it. Far better LA quilters than me. Strangely though, after spending the time to balance the tensions, I don't have any trouble with it. I run my tensions quite loose but balanced and this is the sort of result I can get out of it (note, it's just play. I'd taken some time off due to a tweaked neck and I wanted to see if I could quilt yet)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]487100[/ATTACH]

The one thing about the aurifil cotton is that it doesn't have a lot of sheen, so it has to be really really the right color or it won't pop. It's also great if you want it to completely blend in.
Attached Thumbnails img_2376.jpg  
Old 08-11-2014, 05:22 AM

I only use Aurafil for piecing. I longarm quilt with either Permacore or Glide.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

I like it but another one that you might try is signature. these are for my sit down machine. for the long arm I use Glide or Signature. Signature is stronger.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:58 AM

I have only had breakage problems with Aurifil during a class where I was trying to FMQ over some sticky water-soluble interfacing we were using to mark the quilt. We did 10 different methods and only the sticky stuff gave me breakage problems. I was missing stitches too. My needle was really gummy though, so I assumed that was the source of my woes.

I have been told to try Presencia out but I haven't bought any yet.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:46 AM

I only use Aurifil for piecing and love it. Great tip about pulling on the thread tail to see if the needle bends. I do this all the time, sometimes when threading a machine it doesn't set well in the tension disks. If it does bend the needle, re-thread. Now for free motion I use a polyester...I know the quilt police are going to arrest me. I have a very good friend who does professional free motion on domestic machines and long arm. She says it's stronger. I agree speed and movement can cause a problem. I use an embordiary thread I get at my machine dealer and it's beautiful because it has a slight sheen. Good Luck
Old 08-11-2014, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

I am a bit out of fashion since when I bought my Bernina 1530 NEW, the dealership recommended Mettler Silk-finish thread and I have never had a problem quilting with it.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by PumpkinSundae View Post
Hi...I know everyone raves about it but I find it breaks easily when machine quilting....is it just me? I am not an expert at machine quilting but just wondering if anyone else experienced this. I don't think it is the tension.

What thread do you use?

Thank you!
What thread weight are you using for your machine quilting? Aurifil recommends their 40 wt for machine quilting and 50 wt for piecing and applique.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:05 AM

It is probably your needle. Change to a topstitch 90/14. Also, go to the superior threads site and order the Threadology dvd...it has been free for about six months. It will tell you all about thread, needles etc. great information!