Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
aurifil thread >

aurifil thread

aurifil thread

Old 07-09-2016, 11:29 AM
Power Poster

Aurifil spool colors are different for each thread size. Aurifil is 2 ply so your tension has to be adjusted and a smaller size needle is used.
Old 07-09-2016, 03:33 PM

Why not try a spool and see how it works for you. There are small spools available if you just want to give it a try. Like many things in quilting, we each have our own favorites. You need to experiment to find out your favorites. I use Aurifil thread for most everything, my favorite. Less lint in the bobbin area, more thread on each bobbin, makes a nice flat seem and doesn't break for me. I use it in my Pfaff.
Old 07-09-2016, 03:34 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
...........My Bernina is usually the machine that thread breaks in if I don't remember to reset the tension. Bernina's seem to come with the default tension settings pretty tight.
CashsMom .... If Aurifil is your most used thread, when you have your machine serviced, ask them to reset your machine for Aurifil. The Bernina standards are for Mettler, but the technician can set it for any go-to thread. The dealer first offered to do it for me, and now I just leave a note taped on the machine bed to remind him. ONe time I forgot ... and what a nuisance until I had him re-set it.

TeresaA .... how fast can you say "old wives tale"???

RosaSharon .... If it is Aurifil and the spool is orange, then it is a 50 wt thread. However, there are other brands that have an orange spool too, so you can't just assume Aurifil when orange. The other Aurifil weights are coded by n green and grey.
Old 07-10-2016, 02:38 AM

Bree, you should get a commission from Aurafil. LOL. I like Aufafil's quality and selection of colors.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:04 AM

I love the colors of Aurifil Thread and it works great for me!! Just started gathering more colors this year, so don't have many, but Bree is right on all counts and I for one love the way it looks on my quilts. I just finished a special Celebration of Life quilt for my nephew and it really makes the quilting pop!! I tend to go between Essential and Aurifil. Usually Aurifil though and when I was trying to find a good deal, I heard about pumpkinvinecorner.com and it gets to me in 3 days. Good thread and good shop equal a very happy customer!!
Old 07-10-2016, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
I got a few Aurafil spools, just to try it out. And I find that it breaks more often than my Metler or Guterman thread. We have a lot of people (at the store where I work) who can't find the colors they want. I think I'll stay with to Metler as my main thread.
I don't like cotton thread for this reason. Call me radical but I piece with a poly/cotton.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by TeresaA View Post
And about lint, the lintiest thing we work with is batting, followed closely by fabric. Thread comes in last place in that race. I used beige thread on a green quilt. My lint was green, hardly beige at all.
I really disagree. I used Mettler cotton for a queen size quilt and had so much more lint than I ever had with Aurifil. I had to clean my bobbin case almost every time I changed it. The lint was the color of the thread, not the fabric.

I am a huge fan of Aurifil for the reasons already mentioned.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:38 AM

I used Aurifil once and I've never looked back! It was remarkable how accurate my seams became. I never have a problem with the thread breaking...if it breaks, it's because my needle is old or my tension is off. LOVE it. Will explore Superiors threads next.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
I got a few Aurafil spools, just to try it out. And I find that it breaks more often than my Metler or Guterman thread. We have a lot of people (at the store where I work) who can't find the colors they want. I think I'll stay with to Metler as my main thread.
That is my experience. I had Aurifil and it broke so easily (just taking two ends in my hand and pulling). I was reluctant to use after that.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:13 AM
Power Poster

Aurifil is mako cotton thread from Italy. There are other mako cotton thread brands. I have spools of the Genziana thread made in Italy and it is excellent thread. I buy from here: http://www.tristan.bc.ca/page1.html
<body id="cke_pastebin" style="position: absolute; top: 0px; width: 1px; height: 1px; overflow: hidden; left: -1000px;">[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="class: PListImgBox, align: center"]See details[/TD]
[TD]Genziana [/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
</body>