Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
aurifil thread >

aurifil thread

aurifil thread

Old 07-10-2016, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by CookieZenmilk View Post
what is the big deal about aurifil thread? fatquartershop is constantly pushing this brand. is it stronger, brighter, better than say mettler or sulky? is aurifil a brand of thread or a type of thread?
I believe that one reason aurifil sells so well is because popular authors like Edyta Sitar or Gudrun Erla reccommend it in their books. Because of lint and shredding, I stopped buying Connecting Threads brand and bought a lot of aurifil in neutral shades that was part of a close-out offer. That was the earlier Connecting Threads, more recently I have ordered thread from them and was happy with it. To me, Connecting Threads just gets better and better in their thread and fabric collections. I also stock up on Coats & Clark when on sale. When picking out and re-sewing what someone else has sewn, the brand of thread does not matter nearly as much as how careful the sewer is, or if the sewing machine has been fine tuned.
Old 07-10-2016, 01:14 PM

I like the Aurifil thread, and have never had a breakage using it.
Old 07-10-2016, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by elnan View Post
Because of lint and shredding, I stopped buying Connecting Threads brand and bought a lot of aurifil in neutral shades that was part of a close-out offer. That was the earlier Connecting Threads, more recently I have ordered thread from them and was happy with it. To me, Connecting Threads just gets better and better in their thread and fabric collections.
I did notice that Connecting Threads is now labeled as "extra long staple cotton" -- it was long staple cotton probably even as recently as maybe a year ago. I plan to stick with Aurifil, but I definitely agree CT is making major strides in improving their brand of thread.
Old 07-10-2016, 02:37 PM

I love Aurifil for all the reasons stated. I haven't had a breaking problem and I use in it my Bernina and Featherweight.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:54 PM

I have many different brands of thread, but what makes me keep buying Aurifil is:

1. I don't have to refill my bobbin nearly as often.
2. It doesn't lint up in my machine as bad as any of the brands which means I don't have to clean it out of my machine as often which is a real pain for me since I have an extraordinarily finicky bobbin case.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:49 PM

testing because I can't seem to get to page 2 of this thread. Maybe I can this way.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:17 AM

Gale, pg 3 won't load for me... Very strange.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
Mettler isn't 'silk wrapped' - a common misconception. There's no actual silk in the thread, which is 100% cotton. The 'silk' refers to it's finishing process - which Mettler has chosen to name 'silk finished'.
so TRUE. Thank you for clarifying. Sometimes "marketing" detours our conception...tho it is called Silk "finish".
Sandy
Old 07-11-2016, 04:30 AM

The heavier weight Aurifil can and is used in machine embroidery.
Sandy