Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Aurifil vs Mettler & must have tools! >

Aurifil vs Mettler & must have tools!

Aurifil vs Mettler & must have tools!

Old 04-19-2013, 03:51 AM

Mettler as knots. LOVE aurifil.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:57 AM

There is a glossary on this message board that will guide you through the abbreviations people use, like WOF (width of fabric) etc. I found it very helpful since I am also new to this board.

Are you a hand quilter/needle turn appliqué-r like me? For appliqué, remember the finer the thread (I use Aurofil 50-wt) and the smaller the needle the finer the stitch. The larger the number on the needle, the smaller it is. I use betweens for hand quilting (10 or 11, but am going to attempt to use 12's soon) and 11 appliqué or straw (longer than appliqué).

Hoop? I used a quick snap for years, but the snap part is beginning to crack, so am trying Dritz no-slip 14". So far so good!

Thimble? I have had mine for years and years, made in England, all metal, flat top with high ridge to catch the needle. Clover makes a metal top with silicone sleeve that fits your finger pretty well.

Marking tools? I like the Clover white pen that disappears when ironed, and a disappearing purple pen (you can only mark a bit at a time because it really does disappear). Just test any marking tool on a scrap to be sure it does what it says it will do!

Rotary cutter and cutting mat, ruler (transparent and with markings you can see on light or dark fabric), very fine pins (I like the flat head ones), 1/4" foot is very useful to getting seams straight, and very sharp scissors (I have a large pair and a very small, sharp, very pointed pair for appliqué).

Welcome to quilting! I hope you have someone nearby with whom you can interact in person so you have some hands on guidance! Makes the first attempts so much happier!
Old 04-19-2013, 04:02 AM

I love my 8.5 inch x 24.5 inch ruler made by creative grids. It seems to slide less when cutting strips and is wide enough for most block sizes that I need. I love aurifil!
Old 04-19-2013, 04:12 AM
Power Poster

I have a June Taylor template that cuts at 1/2 inch increments (terminology might not be exact)
Old 04-19-2013, 04:32 AM

I am convinced that threads are especially meant for specific applications. The Superior company, as others have said, has information and a video that is well done. It helps you understand how thread is made and how it should be used. When deciding whether or not a thread fits your budget be sure to check the yardage you are receiving for the money. I like both of the brands you mentioned. I like to use 50 or 60 for piecing and buy in in cones-white, beige and gray. I use a heavier thread size 30 for the top thread when quilting (topstitch 14 needle). I enjoy some of the Sulky threads for this purpose. Therefore, I have a small cabinet of thread. My latest discovery is using Superior Bottom Line thread (size 60 polyester) to stitch in the ditch for stabilizing my quilt before FMQ. I like it far better that the old polyester invisible thread. It is totally hidden. As for basic tools: rotary cutter, mat, a lipped ruler or two. I like some rulers that have multiple functions and steer clear of those that have only a single use. Happy quilting!
Old 04-19-2013, 05:17 AM
Power Poster

I just use Coats & Clark but I'm about to try others just to see the difference.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:39 AM

Can anyone tell me where to buy the aurifil thread as I cannot find any in my local shops or Joanns store. Is it mainly online stores?
Old 04-19-2013, 06:32 AM

I love Superior Bottom Line and So Fine. They work wonderfully as both bobbin and top thread, and you can get a lot on a bobbin. They are truly beneficial in getting that scant quarter inch seam. As suggested by someone else, go to their website. There is a lot you can learn, and they sell sampler packs of thread so you can try out a variety. I would suggest not stockpiling. Your tastes and needs will change over the years and you won't want to be stuck with earlier purchases that you are not using.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:02 AM

I am new to Aurifil thread but I love it. When I was having some problems with my regular thread, I had some Aurifil thread & tried it & voila, no problems & so far so good. I try & get it at the most economical price I can find. Also found another new thread Tristan thread which is very similar to Aurifil (made in Italy) & really like that too.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:04 AM

Aurifil is always my first choice. Leaves almost no lint in the bobbin area. I think it is well worth the price in the long run.