View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013, 03:57 AM
RGAY

There is a glossary on this message board that will guide you through the abbreviations people use, like WOF (width of fabric) etc. I found it very helpful since I am also new to this board.

Are you a hand quilter/needle turn appliqué-r like me? For appliqué, remember the finer the thread (I use Aurofil 50-wt) and the smaller the needle the finer the stitch. The larger the number on the needle, the smaller it is. I use betweens for hand quilting (10 or 11, but am going to attempt to use 12's soon) and 11 appliqué or straw (longer than appliqué).

Hoop? I used a quick snap for years, but the snap part is beginning to crack, so am trying Dritz no-slip 14". So far so good!

Thimble? I have had mine for years and years, made in England, all metal, flat top with high ridge to catch the needle. Clover makes a metal top with silicone sleeve that fits your finger pretty well.

Marking tools? I like the Clover white pen that disappears when ironed, and a disappearing purple pen (you can only mark a bit at a time because it really does disappear). Just test any marking tool on a scrap to be sure it does what it says it will do!

Rotary cutter and cutting mat, ruler (transparent and with markings you can see on light or dark fabric), very fine pins (I like the flat head ones), 1/4" foot is very useful to getting seams straight, and very sharp scissors (I have a large pair and a very small, sharp, very pointed pair for appliqué).

Welcome to quilting! I hope you have someone nearby with whom you can interact in person so you have some hands on guidance! Makes the first attempts so much happier!