Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
baby car seat canopy - help >

baby car seat canopy - help

baby car seat canopy - help

Old 02-14-2014, 06:43 PM

Default baby car seat canopy - help

I need to make my granddaughter a baby car seat canopy for her soon- to- be born son. I pretty much know how to do it, except I do not have access to the car seat and she is no help in measuring!! After watching several tutorials on u-Tube, it seems that most were approximately 36" X 40". The only information that I can't seem to find is....how many inches down from the top of the covering do you sew on the little straps that wrap around the carrying handle?? I'm assuming it should be in the middle of the fabric? I know the straps should be spaced approximately 8 -9 inches apart.....wherever they are sewn. It's been too many years since I've been around a baby and all the new equipment, etc. If anyone has made one of these (and I'm sure there is) help me out here. thanks!!
Old 02-14-2014, 08:06 PM
Power Poster

How about asking her what kind of car seat it is and then going to a store with your tape measure and get a look at it in person?
Old 02-14-2014, 09:17 PM

I make these all the time and I place my straps 16" down from the top and have six inches between the straps which leaves lots to cover the seat in all directions. I make my straps 1 1/2" or 2" wide and use velcro to hold them on. Every mother that I give them to loves them and I like them because they make a little tent over the baby, keeping out the cold air but not restricting breathing in any way.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:47 AM

Never thought of this. Great idea. I've made baby slings, but this would be a good idea.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:05 AM

Just have your daughter give you the manufacturer and model number of the car seat and google for the specs. Then check on pinterest - I know I've seen a number of car seat canopies posted there. Good luck.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Shelbie View Post
I make these all the time and I place my straps 16" down from the top and have six inches between the straps which leaves lots to cover the seat in all directions. I make my straps 1 1/2" or 2" wide and use velcro to hold them on. Every mother that I give them to loves them and I like them because they make a little tent over the baby, keeping out the cold air but not restricting breathing in any way.
Thanks, Shelbie, for your information. How long do you cut your straps? And what size of fabric do you use to make the tent/canopy itself? I have bought 1 1/3 yds.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:40 PM

Check out this site. http://www.fleecefun.com/baby-car-se...er-how-to.html I made one for my grandson with their pattern. You don't have to use fleece. I used cotton and flannel to keep him out of the cold winter wind.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:14 PM

The smallest that I make these car seat cover uppers is 30" x 38". The last one I made was 34" x 42". It really depends on how much fabric I have. I usually put cotton on the front and flannel on the back and a lightweight batting as I don't want it too heavy. I just quilt it with my machine and machine bind it like a regular little quilt. My straps are usually about 10" after seaming ready for velcro and I sew them directly on the quilt with a couple of rows of machine stitching right in the centre of the strap. Hope this helps.

P.S. I checked out the tutorial link provided by Yakkity and this looks pretty well like mine except her straps are wider and she used fleece instead of cotton.

Last edited by Shelbie; 02-15-2014 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:30 PM

Thanks, Shelbie.