Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Baby quilt colors >

Baby quilt colors

Baby quilt colors

Old 01-15-2017, 02:08 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Mommas today are much less interested in the pastels we are familiar with. This link shows ideas of "modern baby quilts" that will help you make a decision. https://www.google.com/search?safe=a...k1.xg900Y-lt5A
You also might browse Target, Walmart, and Babies R Us for their examples of nursery designs and layette patterns.

Jan in VA

(I assume this link is appropriate here in response to a topic. If not, well, then... )
Old 01-16-2017, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by IrishNY View Post
Gray is very much 'in' for baby items. And it pairs well with pink, yellow, aqua, blue, etc.
I agree, gray has been popular for a couple of years now and it's easy to coordinate with many colors.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:07 AM

It seems GREY with anything neutral.......cream, white, etc is very popular......
Old 01-16-2017, 04:26 AM

Along with the aforementioned colors, the popular animals are owls and monkeys.

My DIL (26) just made a quilt for her newborn niece to coordinate with the nursery. Very trendy grey and cream with pops of tangerine. Scroll through Etsy for what colors are "hot" in baby bedding.

Unless we're making charity quilts, honestly the quilt colors and pattern are for the mom. But if you're making one that's truly for baby, experts say that newborns' eyes are busy perceiving patterns, so the high contrast of black and white is best for developing brains. One of these days (when I'm a grandmother -to-be) I'm gonna be brave and make a b&w quilt , and appliqué simple shapes on it.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:45 AM

As you can see from my avatar, I've made a black & white baby quilt and currently am making one in various shades of gray at the request of the mother. I've also made a gray and coral one that turned out far better than expected. My most recent baby quilt (posted over on the "pictures" forum) has a lot of browns in it. Today's mothers seem to think out of the box when it comes to pastels in pink and blue.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:53 AM
Power Poster

I usually went with the parents theme for the nursery. If I wasn't sure I went with greys and whites.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:37 AM

My latest request was grey and yellow with an elephant theme. Hope to start on it today.