Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A baby quilt and I am frustrated--need suggestions. >

A baby quilt and I am frustrated--need suggestions.

A baby quilt and I am frustrated--need suggestions.

Old 01-21-2017, 06:39 AM
Power Poster

Your quilt is adorable. I would wash it and gift it. Any waviness I would call a design feature. Are the parents expert quilters who would look at it and say OMG the binding is wavy. I'm guessing they would say what a great quilt. Thanks so much for making it.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:40 AM

Thank you for all your answers. This is the first time I have used this type of quilting method (as suggested by the pattern author when she spoke at our guild)and I really feel that the quilting is the culprit here. I am going to wash it and hang it to dry. If the problem persists, I will think about removing the binding on the sides and resizing it. Thank goodness the problem is not on the bottom because I machine embroidered the label along the bottom binding.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:43 AM

I would wash it, but I'm not sure I would hang it to dry....all that weight might distort it. If you have a large area where you can block it, that might help.

Best of luck. I'm sure your little one will love it, regardless.

Watson
Old 01-21-2017, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
I would wash it, but I'm not sure I would hang it to dry....all that weight might distort it. If you have a large area where you can block it, that might help.

Best of luck. I'm sure your little one will love it, regardless.

Watson
no way I'd hang it to dry, I would block it and think it will solve your problem.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:16 PM

I wouldn't know how to fix it and probably wouldn't anyway. It absolutely adorable! Love the tails
Old 01-22-2017, 04:42 AM

If it really, really bothers you, probably need to take the binding off and reapply it. When doing so, tug on the binding just a bit to snug it into the quilt. That's my guess on what has happened and how I'd fix it. Unless this quilt is to become a wall hanging where the ripple can be noticed, I wouldn't be concerned about it though. It's a darling quilt--good job of creating this giraffe family--plus tails!
Old 01-22-2017, 05:44 AM

Adorable quilt. Think I would wash it and call it good, no quilt police here! But, if bothers you, by all means removed the binding, square up the quilt, measure and reapply binding.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:52 AM

It's absolutely adorable!! If it's meant to be used, I wouldn't do a thing but wash it and dry it and give it away. I doubt you will notice the waviness after the wash. If you intend for it to be used it needs to be able to go in the dryer for a busy mom with two children. No one will care or notice if it waves a little. I love it!
Old 01-22-2017, 06:29 AM

Your quilt is very cute!
I agree with some of the comments that it may be the binding and would redo it if it really bothers you but it is finished and looks lovely so I would probably let it go and move on to your next project.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:40 AM

I just attended a quilt show in Ocala, featuring world wide quilts, mostly small wall quilts. Nearly all were densely quilted, and nearly all had waves or even cupped when densely quilted. ( They were likely blocked flat originally, but have been packed/shipped to various shows) l think it's the density of quilting. Wash, dry o damp/almost dry, & steam press around te binding area...chances are the binding will shrink a bit & fix the outer waves anyways. Gift it... baby will not care. Next time, quilt less densely...it'll feel softer too.