Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A baby quilt and I am frustrated--need suggestions. >

A baby quilt and I am frustrated--need suggestions.

A baby quilt and I am frustrated--need suggestions.

Old 01-20-2017, 03:04 PM

Default A baby quilt and I am frustrated--need suggestions.

I made this quilt for our newest great nephew. The pattern is from Lorna McMahon of Sew Fresh Quilts. The pattern is exceptionally well written and her measurements are perfect--if you want to make an exact duplicate. Because this was a second child, I wanted to add another baby giraffe. And I am sorry, but my giraffes need tails (something the pattern did not have). I am pleased with the changes I made.

I quilted it on my DSM, using random wavy lines. BUT here is what I am not pleased with--the quilting seems to have made the quilt 'pull together' and the binding is wavy on the sides--ore wavy than it looks in the photo. Did I quilt too tightly? Would it help if I removed every other line of quilting? Help!! I need your expertise.
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0043-medium-.jpg  
Old 01-20-2017, 03:09 PM
Power Poster

If it bothers you, take the binding off and shorten it, then reapply. Cute quilt! Did you bind it before quilting it or something?
Old 01-20-2017, 03:18 PM

No, I bound it after quilting and just flattened the fabric as I went. If I take off the binding and shorten it, I think I will have pleats along the sides.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:33 PM
Banned

Bet it will smooth out when you wash it.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:37 PM

I agree that the first time it's washed, it will not be an issue at all. And I sure wouldn't care, even if it was wavy. I have a plaque on my wall that says, "Measure it against eternity." This does not weigh in!!
Old 01-20-2017, 04:12 PM
Power Poster

Did you square up the quilt after quilting, Before adding the binding? I wouldn't remove quilting, I would remove the binding, straighten the quilt then reapply the binding.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:18 PM

very cute quilt
Old 01-20-2017, 04:37 PM
Power Poster

Cute quilt! It looks like edge has stretched a bit. I would remove the binding. Check the quilt edge and if there are waves when it was laid flat out, take a hand needle and thread and run a gather stitch to slightly pull in the wavy spots. I would then put the binding back on.

I usually put my walking foot on, increase my stitch length and go around the perimeter of a quilt before putting on my binding. If there are any problems, I can fix them before putting on the binding.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:40 PM

Sew on the binding and hold the binding taunt. The back side of the quilt will not stretch that way.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:59 PM

When you measured your quilt for binding did you measure in the center of the quilt? If not sometimes your binding will not fit correctly and can become wavy. I would take binding off re square the quilt, measure center of quilt, horizontally and vertically and reapply binding. I don't why this works but it does. Or do what I tell my great granddaughter. it is a creative design element not a boo boo.