Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Baby Shower gift delemma

I would be interested to hear what the father of that little boy would say about him sharing a pink room. My bet is the room won't stay all pink for very long. I liked the suggestion of grey camo and colors on the back. I also think red, white, and blue might look okay with the pink. Good luck!

I'm sure they will have several quilts/blankets for the baby. If the mother doesn't like the colors of the quilt, then that quilt will be packed away, given away, etc. Make what will be used. I saw a baby at Walmart wrapped in a quilt of military camo. The parents obviously liked the choice, the stroller matched. Not my choice, but it certainly was theirs. You need to respect the parents wishes is you want your hard work to be used.

I like (vote) for compromise .... the gray camo for the back and your log cabin idea on the front. With the colorful center block surrounded by blacks and grays is outstanding. As the child grows, the colorful centers would be opportunity for learning color names. Gray is a popular color these days among young adults so it could be very "in". I do commend the mother for thinking of the step-daughter's accommodations as she prepares for her new baby.
    Make it a scrappy happy day!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alleyoop1 View Post
    How about making a double sided quilt - one side could be grey cammo (definitely masculine) and the other side could be scrappy in your choice of colors. That way you are pleasing the mom and yourself.
    I agree with making a double sided quilt. You get to be happy while the parents get what they want. A win, win in my thoughts.
    Brenda

I would go with the mother's wishes but I like the idea of a black, gray and white log cabin with the different colored centers. That would be cute! Also, keeping in mind that babies don't see color anyway many developmental baby's toys are black and white.

I honestly would not do double work by doing a double sided quilt. But I do think a bright backing would be fun and give a nod to the colored squares on the front. Then the mom gets what she wants and you get a nice color fix as well. Good luck and I hope you'll post a pic when you're done.

It almost sounds as if the "parents" are more concerned about the decor, than they are about the children. :-( I would not make a black & grey quilt, for any young child. I'd go with my instincts and make it colorful; if the parents have a snit about it, just offer to take it back. . . and offer them maybe $10 as consolation (maybe they can find some dreary, old rag for that much).

I have found that honoring someones request can be a challenge. When I sew a quilt or anything for that matter, I want to be creative and often they like things I don't. However, I do what they want.

I would add grey and black to the construction fabric and please both!

Blog Entries
    My question to you is; did you ask them what they wanted. If you gave them a choice then I'd go with it but it you didn't ask and they "told you" and if you pretty much made everyone elses the way You wanted then I'd do it the same way this time. You have to keep the same rules for everyone in the family or there will be major drama.
    Judy

Quote Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
    I would not make a black & grey quilt, for any young child. I'd go with my instincts and make it colorful; if the parents have a snit about it, just offer to take it back. . . and offer them maybe $10 as consolation (maybe they can find some dreary, old rag for that much).
    I would hazard a guess that if the OP didn't want to at least try to make something that the mother would like then she would not have asked. And by the way, taking the quilt back and offering $10 as a consolation is passive-aggressive and nasty. I am hoping that you were making a joke.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    Whenever I make a quilt for a baby, I surprise the parent. I never ask them what colors they want. I never thought of asking. And I guess I'm glad I haven't asked because I wouldn't want your dilemma. I would make something you want to make and not say anything and give it to them. If they are nice enough people, they won't say anything about it not being the colors they wanted. They will only thank you and say how much they love it.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast