Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Baby Shower gift delemma

Quote Originally Posted by Crqltr View Post
    I think since you did ask that you should honor the request. You might find a boy fabric you could work gray and black into.
    i second this - you asked, you need to honor the answer you got.

That's why I don't usually ask what kind of baby quilt parents want - if I know, I'll make one appropriate to a theme, otherwise they get what I've got available.

Why not do a two sided quilt? Black and gray on one side and the more boy oriented for the other side?

This color combo uses gray and wouldn't clash with pink... But definitely still babyish.
    http://teaginnydesigns.blogspot.com/...aby-quilt.html

If you google black gray baby quilt all kinds of neat options come up.

i have seen some animal prints in black and white, there may be some prints in black and white that have cars or trains, geometric prints in black and white could be a consideration. Do some kind of star block or pinwheels. There are also a lot of designs using hst's. Maybe use a bright blue that looks good with the pink as an accent for the baby boy.

Quote Originally Posted by AFQSinc View Post
    And by the way, taking the quilt back and offering $10 as a consolation is passive-aggressive and nasty. I am hoping that you were making a joke.
    Nothing passive-aggressive or nasty, about it. IF the parents were so nasty as to cause a snit about the gift, I certainly wouldn't consider them worthy of a lovingly-made quilt. Do you know what a "snit" is . . . or is it just a southern term?
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Quote Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
    Nothing passive-aggressive or nasty, about it. IF the parents were so nasty as to cause a snit about the gift, I certainly wouldn't consider them worthy of a lovingly-made quilt. Do you know what a "snit" is . . . or is it just a southern term?
    I agree that if a person is ugly about receiving a handmade quilt they are not being nice or deserving of a gift of this caliber. However, two wrongs do not make a right. One should not match ugliness with ugliness. And yes, I know what a snit is.

Blog Entries
    I just make the quilts. I don't ask anyone what they want because then it becomes a contract and the gift gets lost.
    If I know boy/ girl I will make appropriate selections. Other than that, they get what I make!
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

I agree with QuiltnNan, Nancy - I too like the idea of a two sided quilt....using the kids colors on the back and the mom's on the front. !!!!! I will remember this though if I ask someone what they want....would probably mean going to the store for new fabric and not what is in my stash. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by AFQSinc View Post
    I agree that if a person is ugly about receiving a handmade quilt they are not being nice or deserving of a gift of this caliber. However, two wrongs do not make a right. One should not match ugliness with ugliness. And yes, I know what a snit is.
    I suppose some folks believe it is "ugly," to stand up for oneself. I don't believe in being an enabler, to rude and/or abusive people, so we'll just have to disagree on this.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Quote Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
    It almost sounds as if the "parents" are more concerned about the decor, than they are about the children. :-( I would not make a black & grey quilt, for any young child. I'd go with my instincts and make it colorful; if the parents have a snit about it, just offer to take it back. . . and offer them maybe $10 as consolation (maybe they can find some dreary, old rag for that much).
    I agree. One thing I remember about having babies, you can never have enough blankets for them. When my DD was born, I got what I at first thought was a hideous purple checked quilt with a scary-looking bunny appliqued on it. But I thanked the friend who gave it to me graciously & wouldn't you know it? It was the one I ended using the most (& I had about 6 other quilts alone... let alone all the other various blankies)! So, it just goes to show you...
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by bakermom View Post
    si Maybe you could use zebra fabric and make it a jungle quilt.
    I think this is a great idea. Black and white zebra print in a green jungle theme quilt wouldn't clash with the pink and can still be boyish and colorful. Then I like the idea of the gray camo for the backing. Then if the parents only want the black and white to show in the room, they simply put that side up.

You did ask her what she wanted so I think that is what you should go with. There are some nice gray and black prints out there right now. As maybe some of us don't like it, you do have to put it in perspective - if your hubby asked you what you wanted for your birthday, you then told him exactly what you liked, then bought you something totally different, would you be satisfied?

Power Poster
    Look at it as a challenge that is out of your comfort zone, but not a huge project.

Blog Entries
    The log cabin idea is a good one. I saw a crib quilt recently in grey and white gingham, white and citrus yellow which looked fabulous. It was very simple with the gingham used for an appliqued shape and the name of the baby, plus one border and the bright colour also used as an internal border.
    An Amish type of quilt used black as a thin border around colored squares and as links between the squares with a strong blue as a sashing; that was interesting too.
    Babies like looking at geometric patterns and black, white and gray can be an exciting combination so I wouldn't worry about it not being a traditional combination. All the quilts I have made for babies in our family have been used as play mats anyway as small babies often don't have quilts in their cribs.
    You can get good ideas about what modern mothers like by going online to the upscale baby store sites and seeing what the current top sellers are.
    Good luck with whatever you choose to make.

Suzan (Maine)

Power Poster
    This could be adapted to grays and blacks instead of whites and blacks -

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...ml#post5267524

I would go with what mom asked of you. Isn't this why you asked?
    may you be in heaven before the devil knows your dead!
    Liz

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    i like the log cabin idea. i think i'd stick with the mother's wishes for a color scheme. maybe you can use the construction worker fabric on the back?
    I like the log cabin idea best too. Should make everyone happy!!

Are you kidding Black and Gray. Here is somethng that I always make for babies. Burp Clothes (12) of them .Never know when they will spit up. Then give a gift card.

If you asked me what I wanted and went ahead and made something that you wanted instead, I would be in a snit. I would be gracious, but I would be disappointed that you didn't bother to listen to me. You asked, you should honor their answer. My 18 year old grandson loves hot pink. I'm making him a "Think Outside the Block" lap quilt using hot pink as the center and graduating shades of blue for the rest of the block. Make a log cabin (or something on that order) and have the center block hot pink or whatever pink that they are using (I would even ask what color the walls were and try to match it). White on one side and different greys/blacks on the other. There are many fun kids fabrics that are black and white. I've attached a picture of the back of a quilt that my SIL did. Rail Fence w/jungle print in bright yellow, oranges and greens. The backing was a black & white jungle print. Same SIL did a a black & white quilt using skull fabrics for her teenage son. Put your creativity to work.
    Dolly in MI
    Name:  Spencer Baby 3.JPG
Views: 205
Size:  1.18 MB Name:  Imported Photos 00023.JPG
Views: 184
Size:  1.60 MB

Blog Entries
    I feel that since you asked, you definitely should honor the request. Any color combination can be beautiful if you put you mind to it and use a creative pattern. Better to do what was requested than to make something that will end up on a clt shelf.

Research has shown babies brains are more stimulated by bright primary colors than pastels, so I would expect that would also be the case that it would be more stimulating than for greys. Plus what if the little girl grows tired of pink, and they then paint the room a different color.
    You asked the mother, but as the creator I think you would also have some say in your creation. And if you ask me the mother's reason is rather weak in making a blanket for one child to fit in with a visiting child. The baby will be using the blanket all the time and the baby won't care what coordinates with the wall paint.

I would vote for making something the baby would like long term.

When the request is for grey and black I assumed it meant only those colors. If a black background or some other colors is OK in it then that opens up a whole new world. I liked the grey camo idea and would probably use that on the back. I have 14 children and I know my adult children would like that for a son.
    Anna Quilts

If the little girl is staying there occasionally, maybe the mother could ask what she would like for colors for the new baby and maybe that would be a better choice of colors. Don't worry about the black and gray so much. Babies tend to like the black prints. My daughter has a mobile all in black designs which was a big rage and some kind of psychological thing back in the late 90's. I know that all three of my grandchildren were totally mesmerized with that mobile. So go find some black and white print with some good designs on it. But I am really like most of the other people on this board. I never ask, I just present.
    Dreaming of New England while being stuck in So. Calif.(the asphalt jungle of the world.) But hey the Happiest Place on Earth is here.

That is absolutely neat. It can be baby when needed and won't clash with the room the rest of the time. BTW, the mom is to be commended for being so thoughtful. BUT. . . Like Silver Needle, I don't ask. I usually make something I think the baby will like. . . fun pattern and some bright colors. Pastels are cute and babyish but most babies are drawn to bright colors. Whatever you choose, it is the love you have put into making it, that counts. Good luck. Post a pix when you done. Would love to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by alleyoop1 View Post
    How about making a double sided quilt - one side could be grey cammo (definitely masculine) and the other side could be scrappy in your choice of colors. That way you are pleasing the mom and yourself.

I would definitely go with the black and gray, and feel free to add a little bit of primary colors in it, here and there.
    I have a daughter that is really into black, and over the years I've collected various black, white, gray fabric, and copy pic of quilts on the internet hat use those colors, many times with a touch of some other color.

Adding a touch of the bright pink, with bright blue, green, yellow, to me, would be lovely

I hope this shows, to me, this could very well be a 'baby' quilt:
    http://0.tqn.com/d/quilting/1/0/Q/U/...nnin_quilt.jpg
    Last edited by RugosaB; 06-07-2012 at 06:43 AM. Reason: added pic
    You know that feeling when you've finished all your quilting projects and your studio is perfectly clean???? Me neither.

It's not how fast you sew, it's how well you sew fast! Wait, I think that's supposed to be MOW!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast