Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Backing a quilt witih flannel

I just reread your post. A bit of advice. When you quilt it, quilt over all the seams. Since it's a baby quilt it's probably will need to be washed often. My stepmother made a darling flannel quilt for my oldest. He loved it and because of that, it needed to be washed several times a year. Every time I washed it, I had to sit down with needle and thread to repair it - so anchor those seams with quilting or use a serger.

Quote Originally Posted by AlienQuilter View Post
    One of my grandmothers used to make tops and only use a sheet for backing and nothing inbetween - everybody loved them.
    The quilts with no batting.Did she quilt them? Tie them? Reason I'm asking is I live near Houston and we hardly get any cold. My Boston Terriers like to sleep under cover. I would like something cooler for almost all months

I backed a Christmas quilt with flannel and no batting because I live in Texas. I have regretted it ever since. I love the quilt top. It is a triple Irish chain in Christmas colors which I cross-hatched for quilting. Because there was no batting, the quilting doesn't look that great. No dimension. Therefore, I would recommend at least a thin batting.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rush88888 View Post
    don't forget that some flannel shrinks at a higher percentage than other fabrics. perhaps, you might want to launder it in hot water several times to allow for this shrinkage.
    this was my first thought, too
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AlienQuilter View Post
    One of my grandmothers used to make tops and only use a sheet for backing and nothing inbetween - everybody loved them.
    When I was young, we used to call these Summer Quilts
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Thanks very much for all your suggestions - I have decided to use the flannel in place of batting and put a backing on the quilt - and thanks to your help I'll wash the flannel two or three times before using it to get rid of any lingering shrinkage!

Best regards, Joan

Toni C - She tied them.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    When I was young, we used to call these Summer Quilts
    We were in S. California - a heavy quilt would be too much.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Jenny at Missouri Star has a two layer flannel tutorial. It's a very cute, quick little quilt.

I have seen this done before and it works great. The flannel makes is nice and soft. And here in Phoenix, we don't need the extra warmth either. So really it is up to you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast