Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: backing for quilts

I am checking to get feed back on whether anyone has used Minky for the back of quilts and if so what do you think? I used it for one quilt and I like the feel of it but now I am concerned about mixing the polyester backing with the cotton top!!!!

If you use Minkee for the backing, do you still use batting?

You can use it and it makes a great quilt for a kid. You may not need batting unless you want a really warm quilt.

I have used it twice and the first time I very good luck and liked the outcome. The second time I used a Minkee with a longer pile and although it is extremely cuddly I did not like the way pile looked like it was "caught" in the quilting. Minkee is a little stretchy so be careful not to stretch it in the quilting process. My cotton is all washed prior to piecing so the cotton shrinkage should be minimal.

Everything MamaBear61 said,my grandaughter loved her pink one.

I've backed 3 baby quilts w/minky. The first one I did myself and just tied it. It was a little stretchy and needed patience to sandwich. The second and third I took to my longarmer and it was her first time using it. She said she did not have any problem with it, just that it was a little stretchy. She liked it 'sew' much she backed a lap quilt for her hubby in it. It is sooo deliciously soft and wide I think its well worth the extra $$$ for that someone special.

i used it many times for many quilts in the past 5 years- the kids in our world call them the (get-naked quilts!)
    they love wrapping in them out of their bath.
    i've not had any ill effects from cotton tops and minkee backing- some have had batting some have not- the one on my bed- my winter quilt has cotton batting and a minky back-