Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fleece as backing ,instead of batting and backing fabric

Fleece as backing ,instead of batting and backing fabric

Has anyone ever used fleece,under quilt top and eliminate the batting and backing? If so, how did it turn out,any problems? Thanking you in advance for your help, Michele

Blog Entries
    Yes,I do it frequently. I use basting spray and quilt every 3 inches....works fine
    Life may not be the party we planned for,but while we are here we should dance!

I also use fleece instead of batting for cosmetic bags that I make for a charity. I also use the basting spray & quilt...but it's a much smaller area than a quilt. No problems!

I have done it, but the fleece starts looking bedraggled pretty quickly.

I do it often. I pin baste and usually FMQ.

Sometimes I simply use the fleece backing folded to the front as the binding because fleece does not unravel. Sometimes I make a traditional binding. I have no issues with it. My very favorite quilts for personal use have old minky throws as the batting/backing. They are so cozy!! I didn't even quilt those, I finished them birthing style.

I can't attest to the longevity of the ones I give away but in general it makes a physically lighter quilt. I really like using fleece and plan to continue it.

Since the fleece will not degrade and bunch up like batting, you can quilt as much or as little as you want. I find that appealing. The 2 quilts which I use all the time were not quilted at all in fact. I just birthed them and top stitched the edges.

Also since you are only sewing 2 layers, not three, a walking foot is not needed. I don't own one, so using fleece allows me to do some straight line quilting.
    Last edited by KenmoreGal2; 01-13-2018 at 10:33 AM.

This has become my preferred method. Everyone who has received one has commented on how soft and cuddly they are. I do minimal quilting. The first couple I did were panels and I didn't do any quilting and they needed ironed after washing so now I do some quilting - either stitch in the ditch or squiggly lines.

I like the fleece on the back, but the quilts are a little too floppy for me. So I use the 80/20 batting with the fleece.
    Lori

Blog Entries
    I started one once. It was a baby size quilt. I finished the quilting about half way. I hated it. I ended up ripping it all apart and starting it over with backing and batting. It is very difficult to quilt with. Make sure you look and watch a lot of tutorials to get the ins and outs.

In my personal opinion, It felt like I cheated my quilt. And, that is just my personal opinion. It sounds like many of you have enjoyed and like quilting with it.

Now, I do enjoy using flannel for backing. And, no, I don't use it all the time. Mostly with baby quilts. And, a lap quilt or 2,3.

Whatever you decide. Good luck and enjoy.
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee
    https://www.quiltinaday.com/eleanora...nontheFarm.asp

Michele,
    I use fleece and fleece blankets on the back of many quilts I make. Just don't over tighten on the rollers if loading on a long arm, and if you want to put batting in, use a light weight poly and not a lot of quilting to keep them soft and snuggly. They are favorites of kids and the chemo center.
    Peace, Brenda

I am doing that now on a baby quilt i am making. It feels so soft. I like it very much.

Pat, That is what I am working on now, I have the top done. How are you doing yours birthing it, or with binding? Thank you, Michele

Worked fine for me .... take a look at how I did it ....

https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictur...g-t239508.html
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I made a tee shirt quilt a few years back and used fleece backing, didn't have any problems with it, hopefully I'll have the same with this next tee shirt quilt for a neighbor.

Quote Originally Posted by KenmoreGal2 View Post
    I do it often. I pin baste and usually FMQ.

Sometimes I simply use the fleece backing folded to the front as the binding because fleece does not unravel. Sometimes I make a traditional binding. I have no issues with it. My very favorite quilts for personal use have old minky throws as the batting/backing. They are so cozy!! I didn't even quilt those, I finished them birthing style.

I can't attest to the longevity of the ones I give away but in general it makes a physically lighter quilt. I really like using fleece and plan to continue it.

Since the fleece will not degrade and bunch up like batting, you can quilt as much or as little as you want. I find that appealing. The 2 quilts which I use all the time were not quilted at all in fact. I just birthed them and top stitched the edges.

Also since you are only sewing 2 layers, not three, a walking foot is not needed. I don't own one, so using fleece allows me to do some straight line quilting.
    I have used it for backing, easy and cozy!

My Aunt made a baby quilt for each of our children in the 70’s and I loved them. A top with flannel backing, no batting. I’ve always put batting in baby quilts but lately I’ve been thinking for next baby quilt, I should substitute a layer of flannel for the batting.

I'm just learning to FMQ, and recently tried using fleece as a batting/backing. Previously I had only used W&N, so the fleece was waaay to floppy for me to control in comparison, and I did not enjoy the process at all.

That being said, I did really like the drape once it was finished...It had the feel of a quilt that has been well loved and softened with age. And, of course, fleece feels so nice to the touch.

Overall, I think once I have more experience with FMQ, I will probably use fleece again.

As a side note on using fleece, some of it is much more stretchy than others so if what you have is stretchy then glue basting is best.

I love it for throws, baby quilts. Soft, snuggly and stays on your lap. Not sure I would like it for a whole bed quilt as I would want more "body" to the quilt.

Yes, I've done it several times. Sometimes I use batting as well. To be honest, I like the look of the quilt with top/batting/fleece better than just top/fleece. but that is a personal preference, and either way looks good.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

I love to use flannel as backing as well. It's softer and feels warmer, plus it doesn't seem to"slip" off the bed or user as easily as a cotton backing does.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

For those of you who have tried fleece , can you recommend a good quality brand that is tried and true?

Thank you!

Blog Entries
    I have done it on a few quilts. I always buy the no pill fleece. I find it stays nice looking longer.

Blog Entries
    It seems that JoAnns always has fleece at 1/2 price. I wonder about the quality.

Blog Entries
    I hate working with fleece because it 'moves' so much. When I don't want to use batting (either want a lighter quilt, doing a quick throw or unexpectantly ran out), I will use flannel either as batting, as backing or double layers for both. I love working with flannel.

I use the fleece from walmart. Pill resistant is my preference. Hobby Lobby has fleece as well, but is priced higher, but is a good deal if you can get it on sale.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast