Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36

Thread: How To Quilt As You Go using a whole backing and sections of the top instead of blocks

  1. #1
    Super Member wildyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Upstate NY, north of Syracuse Area
    Posts
    5,638
    PART 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by ssnare
    I have a question. I do not understand how you quilt as you go and how to add the blocks or sections to the previous part. Do you leave several inches of backing and batting between each block or section?
    In my case, I used the backing whole and just added the sections to it as I went. My quilt was in 5 sections, the center, 2 sides, and the top and bottom.
    Actually the backing had to be pieced at the top and bottom, also, and I waited to do that until I was ready to add the front top and bottom sections to keep the size I was handling down.
    Since I was using fleece for the backing, I did not need a batting for my quilt, however, this technique would work either way. The two methods of handling the quilt I used were rolling of the edges and puddling the areas where I was actually quilting. I only have a regular sewing machine so this works best for me.
    The first, and most difficult, part was to center the center section on the backing accurately and get it pinned securely. I use safety pins for this, but use your method of choice.

    centering the center panel
    Name:  Attachment-252885.jpe
Views: 2249
Size:  50.8 KB

    ready to quilt the center panel
    Name:  Attachment-252886.jpe
Views: 2244
Size:  60.8 KB

  2. #2
    Super Member wildyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Upstate NY, north of Syracuse Area
    Posts
    5,638
    PART 2. Once that was done, I quilted the center section leaving the blue outside sashing strips undone. This provides the area for overlapping the quilting between the sections. If the section doesnít have the sashing, then I would quilt to within an inch or so of the edge of that area still leaving room for the overlap quilting.
    After the center section is complete, spread the backing again on a hard surface. You only need an area as big as the center section and the part you are adding next.
    *The part you add next depends on how your sections are set up. Itís the same as making a block. Mine was set up so I added the sides first, then the top and bottom. But you could do if the other way if your sides are longer.


    Lay the next section on the center section, right sides together. Pin, matching corners and sashings as needed and being sure to pin through all three layers.

    adding the side panel
    Name:  Attachment-252887.jpe
Views: 2181
Size:  38.0 KB

  3. #3
    Super Member wildyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Upstate NY, north of Syracuse Area
    Posts
    5,638
    PART 3. Sew together using your 1/4Ē seam. You will be sewing through the side and center sections and the backing. Press to set your seam then open out and press again from the top. You now have the side section added to the center section. Lay it out on your surface again and pin the side section to the backing for quilting.

    side panel added and ready to quilt
    Name:  Attachment-252889.jpe
Views: 2175
Size:  52.6 KB

    all rolled up and out of the way
    Name:  Attachment-252890.jpe
Views: 2155
Size:  48.6 KB

  4. #4
    Super Member Judith1005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    *where the sun almost always shines*
    Posts
    6,990
    Blog Entries
    9
    cool. thanks for the info. i'll have to try this.

  5. #5
    Super Member wildyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Upstate NY, north of Syracuse Area
    Posts
    5,638
    PART 4. Roll the other side of the backing and most of the center section to keep it out of your way * HINT: I make elastic rings from recycled waistband elastics that I put around the ends of the rolled backings to help hold them out of my way and to keep them from coming unrolled. Now quilt this section as you wish.


    Since this is an outside section (whether sides or top or bottom) donít leave an unquilted area along the outer edges where the binding will go.


    Repeat the above as you add each section, rolling and puddling the fabric as you need for access to your work area. When you add the last two sections, you will not leave any unquilted areas.

    center and sides all quilted
    Name:  Attachment-252891.jpe
Views: 2243
Size:  71.2 KB

    top section added and ready to quilt
    Name:  Attachment-252892.jpe
Views: 2161
Size:  57.1 KB

  6. #6
    Super Member wildyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Upstate NY, north of Syracuse Area
    Posts
    5,638
    PART 5/ End... Good luck and if you have any questions, please PM me or post and I will do my best to clarify.

    Beautiful Birds Quilt all finished and bound
    Name:  Attachment-252894.jpe
Views: 2228
Size:  137.3 KB

  7. #7
    Super Member butterflies5518's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    4,032
    thank you - timing is perfect! I would love to quilt my current project (will be my 2nd attempt at FMQ) as it is small and managable. This is so handy and looks doable! Thank you

  8. #8
    Super Member wildyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Upstate NY, north of Syracuse Area
    Posts
    5,638
    Quote Originally Posted by butterflies5518
    thank you - timing is perfect! I would love to quilt my current project (will be my 2nd attempt at FMQ) as it is small and managable. This is so handy and looks doable! Thank you
    Very good luck to you! I know you can handle it. Looking forward to seeing your results!!

  9. #9
    Super Member raedar63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,045
    Great!thanks, Sometimes I get discouraged about quilting because I can't afford to send them out to be quilted. I will have to try this method.

  10. #10
    Super Member LeslieFrost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Trego, WI
    Posts
    1,870
    Blog Entries
    41
    Thanks for this explanation! Makes sense.

    If you were not using fleece for both batting and backing, would you keep the backing the whole piece, and just add in the batting as you went along? Yes, I think that would work.

    I did a twin size quilt in three long sections, then sewed the sections together, as in the usual block by block QAYG. I thought it worked great.

  11. #11
    Super Member ssnare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Arma, Kansas
    Posts
    3,403
    What does puddling mean? Also, when you piece one side to center or to a block, do you sew through the backing? On fleece, how far apart do you need to quilt?

  12. #12
    Super Member wildyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Upstate NY, north of Syracuse Area
    Posts
    5,638
    Quote Originally Posted by LeslieFrost
    Thanks for this explanation! Makes sense.

    If you were not using fleece for both batting and backing, would you keep the backing the whole piece, and just add in the batting as you went along? Yes, I think that would work.

    I did a twin size quilt in three long sections, then sewed the sections together, as in the usual block by block QAYG. I thought it worked great.
    Actually, I believe if I were not using the fleece, I would keep the backing AND the batting as whole pieces. I would either glue stick or baste them together before I started adding my sections.

  13. #13
    Super Member wildyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Upstate NY, north of Syracuse Area
    Posts
    5,638
    Quote Originally Posted by ssnare
    What does puddling mean? Also, when you piece one side to center or to a block, do you sew through the backing? On fleece, how far apart do you need to quilt?
    I will answer your second question first. Review part 3 and see where it explains about sewing thru the 3 layers. So yes, you are sewing thru the backing each time.

    Puddling just means making a smaller smoothe area of your fabric layers around your needle where you are sewing, rather than trying to keep the whole thing laying out flat and smoothe.
    I generally try to work with about a 12" smoothe area.

    On fleece, there is no set area to worry about with your quilting. There is no batting to secure and keep from bunching or shifting. So it is up to you how much or little you want to do. You could just outline the blocks, even if there were only 12 of them, if you so desired.
    Personally I like to use the quarter inch outline of my block areas so they also show on the backing and give it some design also.

    showing how I do the quilting
    Name:  Attachment-253001.jpe
Views: 340
Size:  91.3 KB

    more of my style of quilting
    Name:  Attachment-253002.jpe
Views: 291
Size:  68.5 KB

    back of another quilt showing the pattern
    Name:  Attachment-253004.jpe
Views: 279
Size:  53.4 KB

  14. #14
    Senior Member neeng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Kawartha Lakes, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    873
    Thank you! I suppose if you were using batting you could add only under the section you're quilting next...then add to it before stitching the next section of top in place.

    Very helpful, and a beautiful quilt you created!

  15. #15
    TERESA77510's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Santa fe , Texas
    Posts
    79
    I love this .And I think I could really do this. Thank you for posting.

  16. #16
    Super Member ssnare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Arma, Kansas
    Posts
    3,403
    Thank you for posting. This helps alot. Beautiful quilt too. Hugs.

  17. #17
    Super Member knlsmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    West central Illinois
    Posts
    2,968
    Neato!

  18. #18
    Senior Member jahaper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Corvallis, Oregon
    Posts
    405
    Thanks for this idea. I might even give it a try instead of having someone else do the quilting.

  19. #19
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    long island ny
    Posts
    1,329
    Gotta try this! Thanks

  20. #20
    Super Member mimee4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    3,735
    Great tute.

  21. #21
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Alturas, CA
    Posts
    8,481
    Thanks for the great tutorial. I'm definitely going to try this.

  22. #22
    Power Poster sandpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,757
    Blog Entries
    9
    Perfect timing...thanks for posting! I'm planning to do my Affairs of the Heart this way and I just finished the center section...so I think I'll wash my backing fabric today so I can get started!

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Manchester, NH
    Posts
    701
    One night while laying awake trying to figure how to put my quilt together without having to sew back panels, I thought of this very same idea! I was so excited that I couldn't go to sleep! In the morning I started my wonderful plan. A couple of days later, I found a site online (can't remember whose) that gave directions that were basically the same idea as mine! And now here you are doing it the same way! I have to say it's the greatest way to get your quilt together and quilted if you are using a regular home machine. It goes along so smoothly and when you are done, it looks like it was done on a LAQ! I had done a QAYG some time back and had quilted 12" squares and then had sewn them together in the usual manner of QAYG. Didn't really like it. This new way is super. (If I do say so myself! ;)

  24. #24
    Super Member wildyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Upstate NY, north of Syracuse Area
    Posts
    5,638
    Quote Originally Posted by majormom
    One night while laying awake trying to figure how to put my quilt together without having to sew back panels, I thought of this very same idea! I was so excited that I couldn't go to sleep! In the morning I started my wonderful plan. A couple of days later, I found a site online (can't remember whose) that gave directions that were basically the same idea as mine! And now here you are doing it the same way! I have to say it's the greatest way to get your quilt together and quilted if you are using a regular home machine. It goes along so smoothly and when you are done, it looks like it was done on a LAQ! I had done a QAYG some time back and had quilted 12" squares and then had sewn them together in the usual manner of QAYG. Didn't really like it. This new way is super. (If I do say so myself! ;)
    Just goes to prove that great minds think alike, right? And where was your tutorial to save me all this thinking??? LOLOL Just kidding, my brain needs it's exercise more than ever these days.
    Hugs and smiles...

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Manchester, NH
    Posts
    701
    Quote Originally Posted by wildyard
    Quote Originally Posted by majormom
    One night while laying awake trying to figure how to put my quilt together without having to sew back panels, I thought of this very same idea! I was so excited that I couldn't go to sleep! In the morning I started my wonderful plan. A couple of days later, I found a site online (can't remember whose) that gave directions that were basically the same idea as mine! And now here you are doing it the same way! I have to say it's the greatest way to get your quilt together and quilted if you are using a regular home machine. It goes along so smoothly and when you are done, it looks like it was done on a LAQ! I had done a QAYG some time back and had quilted 12" squares and then had sewn them together in the usual manner of QAYG. Didn't really like it. This new way is super. (If I do say so myself! ;)
    Just goes to prove that great minds think alike, right? And where was your tutorial to save me all this thinking??? LOLOL Just kidding, my brain needs it's exercise more than ever these days.
    Hugs and smiles...
    Now my face is red
    :oops: What a twit I am. I never gave it a thought - I was so excited about working on my OWN quilt. Whew, I'm ashamed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.