Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bad advice or did I do it wrong? >

Bad advice or did I do it wrong?

Bad advice or did I do it wrong?

Old 10-20-2016, 12:22 PM
Power Poster

I use glue sticks all the time to baste my paper pieces, I just put a nice line of glue ( using cheap, dollar store washable glue sticks) on the fabric seam allowance, fold over onto the paper, a quick press and they are ready for stitching. When ready to remove the paper I just run my finger between the edge of the fabric and the paper, they pop right off. I've been doing it that way for years, never had a problem removing papers & I reuse my papers over & over. I get my papers from paper pieces.com too. I put the glue on the fabric, fold over & press with my iron- I've never put the glue on the paper & folded over the fabric. It doesn't seem like that would make a difference but maybe it does. Or, maybe you use too much glue. I have a friend who paints starch on her fabric with a brush then folds it over & presses.

Last edited by ckcowl; 10-20-2016 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:25 PM

I use the glue stick too without any trouble. I would think that when you want to remove them and they are stuck too much a bit of water will melt the glue.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:34 AM

Watch Sue Daley tutes on YouTube! I use that glue pen and the refills for it or have found that f&p glue stick and refills are identical, so when I can use a coupon from JAF, that's what I pick up....as shown on tute run a lite line of glue onto paper, one side at a time...just short of edge, so,when you sew hexies together you are not sewing glue....fold over seam allowance, go on to next side.....saves loads of time..I do not iron these hexies....when sewing together, when each is completely surrounded by hexies, I can peel back that seam allowance and the paper pops out. I have ordered from paperpieces for other pattern pieces, but for the gfg I'm working on now, I bought the fiskar paper punch to make hexies out of index cards..and a punch to make small circle in center of Hexie, ready to pop out that way....but I must add...the acrylic templates from paperpieces.com with that 3/8" seam allowance is great....
Old 10-21-2016, 05:38 PM

Thank you all for your concern and suggestions! I tried the Q-tip dipped in water thingee on one of the seams and, after some time, it did work so I know at least it can be done......only a gozillian to go... : ( Think I'm not suppose to finish this quilt.....no matching centers, different whites, stuck seams!!! Looks like a fight to the finish so I may be back to visit again with yet another problem! : )
Old 10-22-2016, 04:37 AM

Do you think it was the amount of glue used or the glue? I haven't tried this but I've been tempted. Just curious as to why?
Old 10-22-2016, 07:49 AM

Perhaps I was a little heavy handed with the glue stick. When my father built something he glued it, nailed it then screwed it to make sure it would stay together through the ages. Maybe I was gifted with his genes!
Old 10-22-2016, 11:11 AM

That's the beauty of today's technology......can find out/ learn how to do just about anything on YouTube these days. I never thought of gluing hexies until I found that Sue Daley tute...since then epp is a bit less tedious, not having to thread baste.....
Old 10-22-2016, 12:54 PM

I have used glue sticks many times with no issue, but I think trying a q-tip with a little water should work for you. I think I would try that before anything else. It's all a learning issue isn't it? Good luck with it, but don't give up. It will be worth it in the long run to find a solution and finish the project.
Old 10-22-2016, 01:28 PM

I am not a fan of using glue and also am a charter member of the Take It Slow club so I like punching a hole in the middle of the template and using a really short appliqué pin just to secure it until I've thread basted it.