Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bag/Tote Handles

Blog Entries

Bag/Tote Handles

I need some items for Bag and Tote handles. I'm having a hard time finding the webbing that I want so would like some ideas from you. Most of my bag handles are made from the bag material, but would like to do something different. Thanks for any suggestion.

I have bought the webbing at Joann's also bought a belt at Salvation Army...it was a woven summer belt for a man...worked just right.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

belts work- web ones, leather ones, even elastic ones- also ties make good handles- all kinds of thing can be used - felted wool knitted cables- ....
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I buy belts at thrift sotres/ yard sales. Be careful sewing leather. it can throw you machine out of time. ( I did alterations & had this happen).. Also I've found some really neat macarame handles & use as it. I do wash them first. Made some jean purses & everyone like the handles. Matched the lining to colors of belt. The elastic webbing would stretch too much for bag in my opinion

I prefer fabric ... use a piece of fabric 6 times the width of your desired handle, and a piece of batting the width you want. Then iron fabric in 1/2 lengthwise. Centre the batting on the fabric and iron the two sides in, so that the raw edges are buried. Then rows of topstitch/quilting about 1/4" apart the length of the handle.

It stays flat with use, and makes for a very comfortable handle to carry. And of course, coordinates with your bag!

Another possibility is to braid fabric together ... either raw edge or tubes turnes on batting.
    Last edited by QuiltE; 07-28-2012 at 04:49 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hobby Lobby has webbing.
    If you wouldn't write it and sign it, don't say it.

I like the cotton webbing vs. the nylon/poly stuff. Best price I've found is Hobby Lobby. You can get purchased handles at Joann's. I've seen handles made from embroidery hoops, rope and on denim bags I cut the flat felled seams from the outside of the legs of old jeans and use it for handles
    I Quilt Therefore I Am

Pat

Blog Entries
    OMG! I gave away soo many belts that would have worked beautifully for bags. Oh well story of my life. I did the same thing with tons of zippers I had; thought I'd never use them since I didn't make garments anymore. Dumb dumb dumb!
    Joyce

Blog Entries
    In the ribbon and emblishment section at Jo anns they have some neat strapping that is suitable for handles some is kind of pricey you can also buy chain and weave it with ribbon and ect to make your own, Just think outside the box and you will come up with many ideas on evening bags I have used a necklace for handles

www.newarkdress.com offers webbing. I have not bought their webbing, but have used them for other supplies with satisfaction. I don't know if M&J Trimming (on 6th Ave in Manhattan) has a web site but they have practically everything you might want.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast