Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Baltimore quilts >

Baltimore quilts

Baltimore quilts

Old 12-31-2016, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by 2Chuckie2 View Post
Hi everyone, I saw a book by Margaret Doherty a few years,ago, called Little Brown Bird, and it started,me on making Baltimore quilts, now I have made four different ones, and still want to do more. I love making the flowers as 3D as possible. A couple of years ago I went to some workshops given by Pauline Ineson on machine made appliqué, and loved every minute. Is there anyone else out there who is as addicted as I am?
I do not make this type of quilt, but check out Joan Shay. She makes beautiful 3D. Her birds and pine cones look real.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:09 AM
Suz

I, too am an applique lover. Two or so years ago, I tried the back basting applique method. For years I had used needle turn but really fell in love with the back basting approach. Placement of pieces is very accurate. Try this method and see if you agree.

Having taken a Baltimore class from Karen Buckley awhile back, she suggested I enter my quilt in the Lancaster Quilt Show. Didn't win but was honored to enter. It was fun watching other quilters looking closely at my quilt and say, "I wonder how she did this?"
Old 12-31-2016, 05:31 PM

If you like the Baltimore style you may also like a Dorothy Baker Design called Vintage Tiles Revisited. It came out a few years ago by Lecien as a free BOM but the pattern can still be purchased from Dorothy Baker. https://dorothybakerdesigns.blogspot.com.au click on patterns available and it should be the first pattern that appears.