Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bandana quilt fabric purchase >

Bandana quilt fabric purchase

Bandana quilt fabric purchase

Old 04-10-2016, 12:38 PM

Default Bandana quilt fabric purchase

I saw that cute "cathedral type" bandana quilt posted here last week(?), and since I had a shopping bag full of old jeans, and the circle template needed to do it, decided to head to hobby lobby and see if they had any bandana yardage...I know they have the bandanas. So I was lucky, found black, red, pink,navy in yardage and lilac, green, yellow, orange and teal in kerchieves. Odd thing I noticed, on the bolt ends the country of origin was Pakistan...oh well, I decided to pre wash, so the fab would "match" the jeans and just in case this fabric was bleeders. I did not pre wash, persa, just put a dishpan with hot water in the kitchen sink and one by one, from light to dark wet, swished, let set a minute, ring out and next one put in. Well surprisingly enough, none bled, except the teal kerchief. Threw all except teal into dryer...all came out good, with no noticeable shrinkage...so ironed and began cutting squares w/GO! Teal was soaked again, bled more, so it will be worn by my dd Weimaraner.
I wrote this to mention the fact that this fab was from Pakistan...which was a first for me, but it was good.
Has anyone else seen/bought fab from this country of origin?
Old 04-10-2016, 01:17 PM
Power Poster

No, I have not bought from this country, but I know how you feel. I wonder about other places too. At least I used to. I have many batik fabrics and I love them all. Never had a problem.
Old 04-10-2016, 04:31 PM
Power Poster

well they put out clothing so maybe it's all right. Don't really know.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:49 AM

I have in the past had fabric manufactured in Pakistan shrink over and over with each washing
Old 04-12-2016, 07:56 AM
Power Poster

USA fabric manufactures have standards when they sell their fabric. Foreign companies don't.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:43 PM
Power Poster

Granted the country of origin can be a problem, however, I was asked to make some quilted items from my good friend, which she purchased at a very reputable quilt shop and online store. They were mostly dark colors, but the darkest fabrics weren't the worst offenders, it was a medium green background print. I have to pay for doing laundry where we live now, the joys of apt. dwelling, so I washed them in the bathroom sink. I washed that particular fabric about 6 times before it finally wasn't bleeding green dye. I guess you can always get a bad fabric wherever it was made.