Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
bargello made with fat quarters >

bargello made with fat quarters

bargello made with fat quarters

Old 09-10-2010, 10:00 AM
Power Poster

I realize this may make someone angry, but i have made bargello quilts...3 queen size ones which i used width of fabric strips...then i made a bargello jacket, table runner and 4 placemats '
USING FAT QUARTERS.
i found the fat quarters were a heck of alot easier to deal with than the 40" strips.
so, i say, if you have not done a bargello yet, and want to give it a try, USE THE FAT QUARTERS. it might not be big but it will teach you the technique with a better chance of success because they are easier to use. after you do a couple small ones you will be ready to dive into a large one with long strips. you could always plan a table runner first, but i think you could probably make a throw quilt, if you have enough fat quarters...it would take alot of them.
jump in and give it a try. :) and enjoy learning the process.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:26 AM

ckcowl Thanks for the tip. I want to make one so badly but feel intimidated. The fat quarters would be much easier for me to use and would be less expensive to try something smaller.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:30 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ckcowl
I realize this may make someone angry, but i have made bargello quilts...3 queen size ones which i used width of fabric strips...then i made a bargello jacket, table runner and 4 placemats '
USING FAT QUARTERS.
i found the fat quarters were a heck of alot easier to deal with than the 40" strips.
so, i say, if you have not done a bargello yet, and want to give it a try, USE THE FAT QUARTERS. it might not be big but it will teach you the technique with a better chance of success because they are easier to use. after you do a couple small ones you will be ready to dive into a large one with long strips. you could always plan a table runner first, but i think you could probably make a throw quilt, if you have enough fat quarters...it would take alot of them.
Why would it make someone angry. I am making a wall hanging with all reds and I cut the width of fabric in half to make it easier to handle. I do whatever works for me. I just wondered how big it would be with 7 fat quarters, but it is a great way to begin.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:37 AM

You could alway use a spacer fabric which could be any width you want. I did that one time, the spacer strip was about 10 inches wide and added to the bottom after the smaller strips. It really looked good.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
USING FAT QUARTERS.
Sounds like a plan, gotta do what works best for you. I learned just because some say it has to be done one way, is not always true. Fat Quarters are fun to work with as they are smaller and easier to handle. If you start a project and find you need more, go back to where you got the first ones and get more. Or buy more than you think you will need to have enough for the project. The leftovers can always be used for other things like Log Cabin centers etc.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:42 PM

Wow ladies. Thanks for all the great advice. I'm sorry I can't answer everyone individually. I'm sitting in traffic in orlando, fl. Just had a rearend accident. We are all fine thank god. And we are on our way to walt disney! What a way to start our mini vacation.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:44 PM

Wow ladies. Thanks for all the great advice. I'm sorry I can't answer everyone individually. I'm sitting in traffic in orlando, fl. Just had a rearend accident. We are all fine thank god. And we are on our way to walt disney! What a way to start our mini vacation.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:17 PM
Power Poster

Have fun even if it didn't start out perfect!
Old 09-10-2010, 01:26 PM

I have done plenty of bargello quilts using fat quarters , you just need more of the same strip sets. In fact I prefer not to work with the full width on very large strip sets it get tough to keep them all going straight and it gets heavy. I have done quilts as large as queen size bargello with fat quarters.
If you have ever seen the pattern twisted bargello I did that quilt with primarily fat 1/4's. The fabrics that were full width I cut in half to make all the strips sets the same lenght.
See photo
Attached Thumbnails attachment-115117.jpe  
Old 09-10-2010, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
You could do the scrappy bargello on Quiltville.
http://quiltville.com/scrapbargello.shtml
Her pattern uses 128 2-1/2"X16" strips, so you could get 8 strips if you cut the width of your fat quarter, which should be 16". You could also use any strip scraps you have or ay fabrics that you like that would be at least this size.
I love her website. I have used many of her ideas.