Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I Counted My UFO's

I Counted My UFO's

What was I THINKING??!!

I keep a running list of my quilts. I like to keep track of when they were finished and who I gave them to, and what I named them. Well of the 113 on the list, 71 are finished. I have given some tops away. And there were a few that have been abandoned. Plus there are a couple that are in progress. Then I decided I need to know how many are UFO's. When I got done counting, the answer is 22! Yikes!

How many do you have right now, and what motivates you to attempt to finish them?
    Last edited by Boston1954; 03-06-2013 at 03:13 PM.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

I have 4 at the moment I think. My goal is to have them all done by the end of the month. We'll see if that happens or not!
    Heather

Well, I guess I have a system. I have one quilt - hand quilting it by my evening chair. One quilt in the cutting/piecing stage, and one that I am machine quilting. I try not to work more than 5 hours a day on my quilting. I have other materials sorted and in lidded containers marked Project 1-5 and that is as far ahead of me I can go. Now.....I do keep an eye open for great fabric and wonderful patterns. Before I retired, I usually worked 10-12 hours a day so this quilting stuff is like a dream come true. And it is so much fun and I love the Quilting Board for all their great ideas and immediate help for any of our problems.
    Busy in Ohio

Blog Entries
    well, luckily, i finished 5 since last november. so i only have 3-4 left.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    Let's see, I have at least 9 that I can think of. My goal this year is to work my UFO's before starting a new project. It's hard but so far I have not started anything new. Until I get a job and a regular income, I can only get to the tops being finished stage. But I am ok with that. I don't have a sewing room so I have been taking out my machine after lunch and working at the table for the afternoon. This is helping me get the UFO's worked on. I did a top today sewing the rows together. Now I need to search my stash and find a light yellow gold or light blue for a thin inner border. I already have the fabric for the outer border. When it is done I'll post a picture.

I hope everyone can get some of their UFO's done in 2013!
    Luv Quilts and Cats
    Never underestimate the healing effects of beauty. - Florence Nightingale

Well, how do you define a UFO? Do you include blocks that you received in an exchange? If you do that will add about 4 to my count. Then there are the class projects that are not finished when you take the class.....oh, the BOMs that I have participated in. There should be a month added to BOM projects that is assembly the top month.

I thought about doing this a year or so ago and decided I really didn't want to know.
    Lisa

T w e n t y f i v e

Blog Entries
    To those who count UFO's - you are much braver than I am! I don't want to know because I don't want to scare myself. I just work on one UFO at a time and plan to continue on that path. If I am able to finish them all - fine - if not - fine.

I really can't bring myself to actually count every one, i am quite aware it is 20 something plus...but I have started quilting 1 day a week at my LQS and have found I am fairly productive in the 5 hr session trying to work on ufo's as well as current projects I want done as well

Power Poster
    ...and that was your first mistake, you counted! No, I will not repeat your mistake and count mine.

Super Member frustratedquilter40's Avatar
    Wow I thought I had alot :-) I think I have close to 20 I gave some completed tops to charity. It is scary but some I know I need to finish but can't get motivated
    ​Christine

Blog Entries
    I have a bit more than you. and no system as you can tell! I'm trying to work on finishing my tops bit by bit now.

I have 20. A lot are from classes I took and didn't finish the quilt. Nine are tops waiting for batting and backing then off to the longarmer. I keep thinking that I will quilt them myself, but keep putting it off. By the way, I have backing and batting for them--just can't get it done. I set a goal last summer to get them done, and I got one done and off to a new home. Pretty bad, huh.
    Sue

Blog Entries
    I don't want to count mine. Right now I have 8 hanging on the banister to be finished. What motivates me? Guilt over all the wasted fabric, time, and energy if I don't finish them and the never-ending list of project yet to become UFOs, ahem, I mean yet to be made.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

I don't even want to go there! I have made a promise to myself that I will finish some (can't promise ALL - I'm not that crazy) before I start anything new. But this promise also includes my knitting and crocheting projects and I'm making progress on those.

I believe in Don't ask, Don't tell! LOL Last year I counted and it bothered me all year! Only had about 15, got 5 done and just gave up! LOL So this year I have decided to finish one quilt before starting a new one. I'm working on a UFO off an on this month, almost ready for the LA. I have also finished 2 new quilts so far this year. I have decided my UFO"s will get done, when they get done and not to worry about them.

Blog Entries
    I have more than I want to count.....what I am happy to hear is that you have "abandoned" projects. I helps to know I am not the only one. I have been trying to get up the gumption to go ahead and complete so they can be donated......

Blog Entries
    On this topic, my belief is that ignorance is bliss!

18 completed tops not yet quilted...4 must go to a LAQ bc they are t-shirt quilts. One in progress with piecing.

I am pretty sure I have more than a dozen...and some of them are probably close to 20 yrs. old.

If you count the quilts that you have purchased specific fabric for and haven't even started and other sewing projects - I have 140 - I've finished 17 since January. I counted and listed them and it inspired me to really work on these projects. I usually have at least 5 I'm actively working on - Right now I have everything cut and ready to start on one quilt, one that I need to quilt and bind, one that I'm doing the hand applique on and two block of the month quilts that are up-to-date.

What counts as a UFO? If it is anything begun but not yet finished I probably have a dozen or so, some I have completely abandoned because I lost interest and umph. I've just begun a kit that is a lot more complicated than it looks. I'd like to see it through, but a simple baby quilt sounds good about now. I love sounding like one of you , I love this board!!!
    groovey

I was really ill and about to die, so I got most of my quilts done because I didn't want to leave a mess for others. lol Well. I got caught up and nowe have only one or two that have been shelved for some reason or other, lol
    Jo

Gosh this sounds like me at least 20 plus not sure of all those I have never started yet, but have the pattern and fabric just waiting their turn! Yet I have really tried this year to work on finishing at least 1 or 2 a month...besides the ones that, you know those BOM I have started on already this year. Plus I decided this year I was going to try my hardest not to buy fabric or new patterns and let me tell you I have already have bought fabric!

I have at least 10. What is going to motivate me? Having just counted them, I want to get them done so I can get more without guilt!!! DH won't mind if I get more if these are done.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast