Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 52

Thread: Bargello Question

  1. #1
    Junior Member FabrikQueen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    131
    When sewing the strips together how does one keep them perfectly straight so they don't have a bow (commonly known as a dog leg) in the center of the strip . Even if you sew a perfectly straight 1/4" s eam there is still a bow the strip. There has to be a secret.

  2. #2
    Super Member grann of 6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Glenmoore, PA
    Posts
    7,333
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by FabrikQueen
    When sewing the strips together how does one keep them perfectly straight so they don't have a bow (commonly known as a dog leg) in the center of the strip . Even if you sew a perfectly straight 1/4" s eam there is still a bow the strip. There has to be a secret.
    Reverse directions when sewing the seams. In other words, when you sew 2 rows together and get to the end, turn around and sew from that end to the beginning of the row you previously sewed. Alternating directions keeps the rows from bowing.

  3. #3
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Lakeland,Fl
    Posts
    1,412
    that's correct Barb

  4. #4
    Super Member DogHouseMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Grundy Co Illinois
    Posts
    5,196
    Quote Originally Posted by grann of 6
    Reverse directions when sewing the seams. In other words, when you sew 2 rows together and get to the end, turn around and sew from that end to the beginning of the row you previously sewed. Alternating directions keeps the rows from bowing.
    Yup!! To remember which end was my last start end I only snip the trailing thread and leave the leader thread long.

    Also, it's important to iron each sewn seam before you sew another seam.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    355
    Wow, let me go get my dirty little secret note book. This stuff is great! ! ! ..............

  6. #6
    Super Member grann of 6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Glenmoore, PA
    Posts
    7,333
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    Quote Originally Posted by grann of 6
    Reverse directions when sewing the seams. In other words, when you sew 2 rows together and get to the end, turn around and sew from that end to the beginning of the row you previously sewed. Alternating directions keeps the rows from bowing.
    Yup!! To remember which end was my last start end I only snip the trailing thread and leave the leader thread long.

    Also, it's important to iron each sewn seam before you sew another seam.
    I usually put a pin in the start of the first strip, so I don't get confused, then I can always look back and see where my starting point is. When I first started quilting a few years ago, this was difficult for me because I was an apparel sewer for 60 years and you always sew your seams in the same direction for clothes.

  7. #7
    Junior Member FabrikQueen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by grann of 6
    Quote Originally Posted by FabrikQueen
    When sewing the strips together how does one keep them perfectly straight so they don't have a bow (commonly known as a dog leg) in the center of the strip . Even if you sew a perfectly straight 1/4" s eam there is still a bow the strip. There has to be a secret.
    Reverse directions when sewing the seams. In other words, when you sew 2 rows together and get to the end, turn around and sew from that end to the beginning of the row you previously sewed. Alternating directions keeps the rows from bowing.
    Thank you. Now how do you press the seams...open or to the side?

  8. #8
    Super Member Airwick156's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Posts
    3,483
    Blog Entries
    1
    I press my seams to the dark side. I rarely open them.

  9. #9
    Super Member grann of 6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Glenmoore, PA
    Posts
    7,333
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by FabrikQueen
    Quote Originally Posted by grann of 6
    Quote Originally Posted by FabrikQueen
    When sewing the strips together how does one keep them perfectly straight so they don't have a bow (commonly known as a dog leg) in the center of the strip . Even if you sew a perfectly straight 1/4" s eam there is still a bow the strip. There has to be a secret.
    Reverse directions when sewing the seams. In other words, when you sew 2 rows together and get to the end, turn around and sew from that end to the beginning of the row you previously sewed. Alternating directions keeps the rows from bowing.
    Thank you. Now how do you press the seams...open or to the side?
    To the side. Since you are staggering seams anyway in a bargello, you can press them all in the same direction. I just find pressing to one side a whole lot easier than trying to press seams open, looks better too if you happen to have any shadowing in the blocks. When it is quilted, the shadowing goes away anyhow.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    514
    Are you sure the bow in the fabric didn't come when you were cutting the strips? That happens to me when I use the cutter. Look at your strips pulled out all the way,is there an "elbow" in the center?

    Carol J.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.