Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bargello question >

Bargello question

Bargello question

Old 05-06-2015, 10:46 PM

I would first mark the row number at the top of your columns. Then, sew column 1 to 2, 3 to 4, 5 to 6, etc. (You will have sets of two's on your design wall.) Then, from the bottom up, sew columns 2 to 3, 4 to 5, 6 to 7. You get the idea. It will save your Bargello from getting wonky.

Sewing them in sets of two's will help you know which direction you need to sew, while keeping them organized. Otherwise, if you sew just adding a column onto a large piece as you go, you might get all confused and accidentally sew a column upside down. Hope this makes sense.

Last edited by Girlfriend; 05-06-2015 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:50 PM

Yes it does make a difference. I saw a move in the seams lining up be over an inch by one lady who did all her rows in one direction. It made a wonky one sided pattern. Seam ripper to the ready and off.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:07 AM

I tried my 1st bargello and after cutting all the tubes I also was afraid to mix them up by mistake so made some straight pins with letters glued to them to help me keep them in order. Wasn't prepared for the price of the ready made ones plus didn't want to wait for an online order so made my own. Got some baby bracelet beads, slipped them onto straight pins with the yellow heads on them and used Elmer's non-washable glue..........finally found a use for that bottle I picked up by mistake. These pins have saved my bootie a number of times now. Made up 8 sets for a fraction of the cost of ready made pins.

I also heard about sewing one direction and then the opposite direction on the next row. I did that and didn't have any waves or bowing in my rows........so I guess that tip works.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:49 AM

I also press the seams in opposite directions so that they nest nicely. Both of the ones that I did were done on a gridded interfacing QAYG. It helps to keep everything perfectly straight.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:13 PM

I have used both methods making bargellos and both work equally well-I do press and use starch. I mark my strips in 2 ways: I number them using small safety pins with a numbered bead on it, and I write on a small piece of painter's tape the width of the strip, both at the top of the strip-no mistakes in sewing order and correct width strip that way
Old 05-08-2015, 05:32 AM

on a Bargello always sew top to bottom others wise it stretching the fabric
Old 05-08-2015, 07:25 AM

I switched directions with my bargello. what really helped me keep in sequence was the design wall and having a strip color chart, that way I would match up what was next. Also doing sections and putting sections together like splitting the whole long section into thirds so by the end you are not working with adding to a super long section
Old 05-10-2015, 12:29 PM

I am making my 1st Bargello and I did change directions of sewing when I made my strip sets. I also followed "Girlfriend's" method of sewing 1 & 2, then 3 & 4, and then joining the two by sewing in the opposite direction.

I think sewing top to bottom and then bottom to top does prevent waviness.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:23 PM

I'm working on increasing my courage to do one of these quilts. I am such a rank amateur , so I'll really have to work on my courage! It will take a lot!

Thanks for the encouraging pictures you have all submitted.

Jeanette
Old 08-17-2015, 04:56 AM

I have always done top to bottom, good luck, show pics.