Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bargello quilt called Illusion >

Bargello quilt called Illusion

Bargello quilt called Illusion

Old 05-25-2015, 09:11 AM

Thanks. That is an idea worth pursuing! Glad I brought back a memory that made you smile.

Dina
Old 05-25-2015, 09:48 AM

The colors are in the same order no matter where they are. Dark green, medium green, light green, black, light yellow, medium yellow, and dark yellow. So all you need to determine is how many pieces, starting from which end, to determine which fabric is in the picture. Hope this helps.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by quiltorelse View Post
The colors are in the same order no matter where they are. Dark green, medium green, light green, black, light yellow, medium yellow, and dark yellow. So all you need to determine is how many pieces, starting from which end, to determine which fabric is in the picture. Hope this helps.
Yes, that does help, and I am concentrating on using that information. That has been the case in my other Bargello quilts. And that is the case on most of this quilt. The black pieces mess that up a bit, at least where the ribbons change directions. I am starting to get the hang of it though, and it will get easier as the pattern really shows itself.

Thanks for the reminder.

Dina
Old 05-26-2015, 04:19 AM

Do a search of the fabric line, you can usually find a chart of the fabrics in color with the number that is printed on the selvedge . You can compare with the color chart. That is how I sorted fabric for shimmering stratta
Old 05-26-2015, 05:24 AM
Power Poster

It is beautiful. Good luck
Old 05-26-2015, 05:34 AM

Create a number sequence and attach a sample of your fabric to help you identify which one you need to use.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:30 AM

I don't have an answer for you, but I encountered a similar issue. I signed up for Calico Gals "Kaleidoscope" FREE BOM. The instructions state that you can purchase the Moda fabrics that were utilized in the quilt from them, or use fabrics from your own stash. Since I have a huge stash and love working with batiks, that is what I will make my quilt with. The suggested Moda fabrics do not show a corresponding number in the instructions, so it is not (totally) clear which 'blue' or which 'yellow' etc. to use. There are at least 2-3 fabrics of each color family. I contacted CG and explained that I planned to use my own stash and asked about corresponding fabric color numbers. I received an email stating that I can use any color number that I want to. I would prefer to use something close to their color, whether it be blue #1, blue #2, etc. If any of you are making this quilt, did you order the Moda fabrics, and do they have a corresponding number per the instructions? Thanks!
Old 05-26-2015, 09:42 AM

when I have a pattern or instructions that are too small for my 'old eyes' or one that I know I will write all over, I enlarge it as far as I can without distorting, print it out and tape the pages together. I have a piece of clear window film (stiff but not too thick) that I clip over it. This allows me to attach it to the wall and write notes all over it with a dry erase pen. When done this ink cleans off the film and the pattern is ready to be folded and used again. If the project has taken a long time and the ink is stubborn use a bit of rubbing alcohol to clean the film. Really neat bargello pattern!!!! have fun!
Old 05-26-2015, 09:52 AM

Well, I am getting the hang of it. Here is where I am now. I have accepted the idea that at least two times in each row...I am on row 5 now...I will think "That fabric can't possible go there," but it will. That is because this pattern twists and turns over some of the other colors.

I will attach a picture of where I am, even though I started a new thread with the same picture. So you may have already seen it.

I also discovered that part of my problem was that I made a copy of the Color Chart, so I could have one at my ironing board and one by my design wall....a distance of about 3 feet, but still I wanted a second copy. The original Color Chart has better colors, and I have been using the copy. I will be changing that now, and I think that will help.

Here is where I am now.

Dina
Attached Thumbnails s8002399.jpg