Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Bargello quilt called Illusion

Bargello quilt called Illusion

Has anyone made the Bargello pattern called Illusions? I have been working on it for about a week and have finally got to page 8, where the Color Chart is. My problem is that I can't tell the difference in some of the colors on the chart....particularly the light greens and light yellows. The chart doesn't have the number of the fabric selected, just the color representation. It has 47 rows of 68 pieces of fabric.

The directions for the first two rows are explained really well, and then it says to "continue working the rest of the rows, following the chart." I have been sort of able to figure it out, but it has taken my magnifying glass and some guesswork.

Has anyone done this pattern and found some sort of easier way to attack this chart? The only think I can think of is to create an additional chart and write the number of each fabric in each box, on top of the color....if I can figure out for sure which color it is.

I think it will get easier when I get farther along, as I should be able to see the pattern sooner or later.

Thanks for any suggestions.

http://www.lockwoodquilts.com/store/.../illusion.html

Dinia

Blog Entries
    It's beautiful! I can't wait to see your finished quilt. I'm sure whatever you come up with will work just fine!
    AudreyB
    Those who sleep under quilts are covered with love.

lovely quilt , will look forward to your pictures . Cathy

Wow! That's really pretty. Can't wait to see your version.

bj
    Maybe if you sit with the chart and photo side by side you can assign numbers on the chart based on their location in the picture. I had to do that with a weaver fever, but it didn't have nearly so many colors. Good luck. It is a beautiful quilt!
    If I'm too busy to quilt, something else has to go.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Not ready to attempt anything like this. Anxious to see yours when finished.

NO, I have never done one of those patterns. Have fun Dina!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    NO, I have never done one of those patterns. Have fun Dina!
    Not sure I would call this fun yet, Joellyn!! I am very glad I stuck very close to the original colors in the pattern or I wouldn't have a chance with this.

Dina

Quote Originally Posted by bj View Post
    Maybe if you sit with the chart and photo side by side you can assign numbers on the chart based on their location in the picture. I had to do that with a weaver fever, but it didn't have nearly so many colors. Good luck. It is a beautiful quilt!
    Yeah, I did this a bit. I have labeled most of the ones I have been having trouble with. I think the "computer generated colors" are just too close together on this one. I was sort of hopping someone had a real short cut, but I don't think that is going to happen. Oh well. I can do this, right??

Dina

Blog Entries
    I was at a quilt retreat with two hysterical little old ladies who were jointly working on a similar project. It could very well have been the same pattern, I'm not sure. They were having the same problem. They took the chart into Kinko's or an office supply store and had the chart enlarged and darkened on a copier.

Those ladies were a hoot, I enjoyed their company so much. Thanks for bringing back the memory and a smile.

Thanks. That is an idea worth pursuing! Glad I brought back a memory that made you smile.

Dina

The colors are in the same order no matter where they are. Dark green, medium green, light green, black, light yellow, medium yellow, and dark yellow. So all you need to determine is how many pieces, starting from which end, to determine which fabric is in the picture. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltorelse View Post
    The colors are in the same order no matter where they are. Dark green, medium green, light green, black, light yellow, medium yellow, and dark yellow. So all you need to determine is how many pieces, starting from which end, to determine which fabric is in the picture. Hope this helps.
    Yes, that does help, and I am concentrating on using that information. That has been the case in my other Bargello quilts. And that is the case on most of this quilt. The black pieces mess that up a bit, at least where the ribbons change directions. I am starting to get the hang of it though, and it will get easier as the pattern really shows itself.

Thanks for the reminder.

Dina

Blog Entries
    Do a search of the fabric line, you can usually find a chart of the fabrics in color with the number that is printed on the selvedge . You can compare with the color chart. That is how I sorted fabric for shimmering stratta

It is beautiful. Good luck

Create a number sequence and attach a sample of your fabric to help you identify which one you need to use.

I don't have an answer for you, but I encountered a similar issue. I signed up for Calico Gals "Kaleidoscope" FREE BOM. The instructions state that you can purchase the Moda fabrics that were utilized in the quilt from them, or use fabrics from your own stash. Since I have a huge stash and love working with batiks, that is what I will make my quilt with. The suggested Moda fabrics do not show a corresponding number in the instructions, so it is not (totally) clear which 'blue' or which 'yellow' etc. to use. There are at least 2-3 fabrics of each color family. I contacted CG and explained that I planned to use my own stash and asked about corresponding fabric color numbers. I received an email stating that I can use any color number that I want to. I would prefer to use something close to their color, whether it be blue #1, blue #2, etc. If any of you are making this quilt, did you order the Moda fabrics, and do they have a corresponding number per the instructions? Thanks!

Blog Entries
    when I have a pattern or instructions that are too small for my 'old eyes' or one that I know I will write all over, I enlarge it as far as I can without distorting, print it out and tape the pages together. I have a piece of clear window film (stiff but not too thick) that I clip over it. This allows me to attach it to the wall and write notes all over it with a dry erase pen. When done this ink cleans off the film and the pattern is ready to be folded and used again. If the project has taken a long time and the ink is stubborn use a bit of rubbing alcohol to clean the film. Really neat bargello pattern!!!! have fun!

Well, I am getting the hang of it. Here is where I am now. I have accepted the idea that at least two times in each row...I am on row 5 now...I will think "That fabric can't possible go there," but it will. That is because this pattern twists and turns over some of the other colors.

I will attach a picture of where I am, even though I started a new thread with the same picture. So you may have already seen it.

I also discovered that part of my problem was that I made a copy of the Color Chart, so I could have one at my ironing board and one by my design wall....a distance of about 3 feet, but still I wanted a second copy. The original Color Chart has better colors, and I have been using the copy. I will be changing that now, and I think that will help.

Here is where I am now.

Dina
    Attached Images Attached Images